Feb 16, 2009

200th Blog Post - 20 Random Facts

20 Random Facts about Me...

...that you probably don't really want to know anyway ;)

My niece, Sarah, was the first one to throw down this gauntlet on her blog (hers was 20 Random facts), then I got tagged by several people on Facebook (their lists were 25). So I decided that it would be a dandy subject for my 200th blog post. It just seemed fitting to me to do the 20 facts, being 10% of the 200. (You like the way my warped little mind works?)


The instructions are-

“Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 20/25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 20/25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you.” (Just keep telling yourself that! LOL). But I will add… only do this if it makes you happy, if it stresses you out, then bag it!


1. Today, February 16th is my half-birthday… a very merry un-birthday to me! TO ME? It was always a big deal to me when I was a kid… oh, wait, it’s still a big deal!

2. I am a 3rd generation Californian. Three of my grandsons ( Caden, Brock & Riley) are 5th generation Californians.

3. I am the baby in my family (that explains volumes, I’m sure). My family made me feel like I was the best thing that ever happened to our family so… "Everybody loves little Joanie, why wouldn't they?"

4. I eat fish eyes. (Mostly because I know it grosses people out, not because they taste good, they don’t taste like much of anything.)

5. I am an out-going person by nature, but the older I get the more cautious/reserved I become. (It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than open one’s mouth and remove all doubt!)

6. I NEED to have things organized. I like to have my fabric folded in a certain way and sorted by color; that also applies to scrapbook paper and clothing minus the folding part. (But if you looked in my workroom right now you might now believe that!)

7. I love the snow; I have since I was a child. One year, as a teenager, I put a bumper sticker on my mom’s truck that said, *Think Snow*… People still hold that against me.

8. I love nature. I had the privilege of growing up in a rural area where I could explore at will. I don’t get it when I see people walking/hiking/biking with their headphones on, don’t they know all the wonderful sounds they are missing?

9. I am like a child and show my excitement for things by clapping my hands and doing a happy dance. I get enjoyment out of the small things in life.

10. I don’t seem to be able to separate fiction from reality at the movies. (Years ago we went to see the Rocky 2 movie where Hulk Hogan is doing back-breakers on Rocky. I grabbed Gordon’s arm and said, “Gordon, Gordon! Why doesn’t somebody stop him!” He laughed and replied, “Joanie! Calm down, it’s just a movie!”) Thus I am very selective in what I can watch! ;)

11. I love my family with something nigh unto fierceness! They all know that I have my faults, but they also know that I love them to my very core.

12. I have a quirky sense of humor. Sometimes I will do or say something and then wonder- where did that come from? (And just for Auntie P here is some photographic proof)


Photobucket


13. I love to quote lines from movies, mostly Disney-type or romantic comedy (see #10). My kids have caught on and we have a whole repertoire of insane quotes. Sometimes this backfires; like the time I gave a lady a [clean] tissue and told her it was “mostly clean” and she looked at it like it was a contaminated!

14. I also have a whole list of words that I’ve picked up over the years that are mispronounced. Most of these are referred to as Helen-isms, but some we have invented. I realize that unless someone knows me they probably think I am just as funny as we thought Helen was! IE- frabric, low man on the tottin’ pole, rotiserairy, ban-bain, hoosed [a multi-purpose word invented by Caden that means anything that sounds similar to hoosed like; loosed, used], and Christian’s saying, “I just can’t like that!”

15. I have lived in 21 different houses (14 of which were in the short span of 10 years, yipes!), in 11 different towns, in 5 different states (California, Virginia, Idaho, Oregon and Utah). The longest place I’ve lived was Palmdale (3 houses, 23 years) and the shortest was 2 months (Doug’s basement while we shopped for our present house). The house I lived in the longest was the house where I was born and raised - 18 years.

16. I am uncoordinated when it comes to sports; there was a reason why I was always chosen last for playground games.

17. I love to sew. I started taking 4-H sewing lessons when I was 8-years old. Mary Greiner always had something absolutely disgustingly-smelling thing cooking and was so picky and meticulous I wanted to scream. But now I thank her from the bottom of my heart for teaching me the right way to sew (not for the disgustingly-smelling things!) My mom was also an excellent seamstress, but she had the good sense to have someone else teach me and then she let me “do my thing”. I would come home from school and think, “I want something new to wear tomorrow”. So I would dig into the material drawer, pull out fabric and a pattern and make it after school and wear it the next day. It took me years to get over that NEED to complete a project in one sitting once I had children! ;)

18. I also love to scrapbook. Pauline infected me. Last year I learned to do digital scrap and I love it even more than paper scrapping. This way I never use up my delicious paper.

19. Speaking of delicious as it applies to fabric and paper; when I see a color that is just so yummy I want to lick it! Strange, but there you are!

20. I love to read AND I love repetition. I can read/listen to a book many times and not get tired of it. The same thing applies to movies; I’ve watched some movies dozens of times and never get tired of it. It is like an old friend, come for another visit.

3 comments:

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

LOL! You crack me up! I'm so glad you included your famous faces in this post! I LOVE them!

Love,
Cindy

Laura H said...

Great List!! The fish eyes reminds me of girls camp (a long time ago) Little Mermaid had recently come out on video and we made you sing The Fish song (that the cook sings) , over and over.

Mom and Dad said...

You and your crazy list. So many memories are there! Funny how many things we share even though we are separated by 10 yrs! Thanks, Joanie! Love ya.