Jan 3, 2010

003- Shamrock Blossom

Many years ago (about 1976) I became the proud owner of a Shamrock plant. I love the delicate, almost transparent tri-leaf and dainty white blossoms. The leaves green on top and a reddish-purple underneath. It opens in the light and then closes again in the shade. This funny little plant grows from a bulb-like root that multiplies. I had that same plant until we moved here to Utah but sadly it didn't survive the move.

I'd shared starts of this Shamrock with family members so last spring I asked Ann if I could have a start back. Sadly, her Shamrock has just died!

So imagine my surprise when Ann and Wayne showed up at my house around St Patrick's day with a beautiful little Shamrock plant? I think I love this one even more!

003- shamrock blossom

This summer I found an all purple Shamrock which I mixed in with the green... what a happy spot of color my Shamrock plant is on this winter day.

1 comment:

Sarah E Boucher said...

I almost killed my poor shamrock when I was gone...came back to all it's little arms limp and brushing the countertop. But knowing how resilient they are I watered it anyway and waited until this morning...and amazing as it may seem after 2 weeks with no water and just one little drink last night it is just bouncing back :) Yeah shamrocks!