Jan 10, 2010

010- Killer Garlic Toast

I'm wondering how many people will think that I am starting a food blog... not so but food is such a part of our lives I just have to talk about it occasionally.

Before Christmas Stuart made a special dinner request, "Mom, can we have soup and garlic toast?" Well, I aim to please. It was sad to realize that it had been months since I'd made garlic toast.

But before I tell you how I make my *killer garlic toast* I have to tell you my favorite garlic toast story.

About 15 years ago our *Utah kids* were visiting and Ryan was telling me a riveting story of his miscreant antics. All of a sudden I remember there was garlic toast in the broiler. I ran over *janked* open the broiler and the toast burst into flames. Laughing I hollered, "Quick, quick open the back door!" I ran outside with the flaming garlic toast and was going to hurl that flaming torpedo onto the lawn. But then I remembered that I didn't have anymore bread in the freezer! NO!! I tamped out the flames, brought it back inside, cut off the burned part, added more garlic spread and re-broiled it! Ah, makes me laugh just to think of it!

010- garlic toast 1

This is the cast of characters for garlic toast... wait... where is the butter? WHERE IS THE BUTTER? Hmm, I must have forgotten to call it out for the photo shoot!

010- garlic toast 2

Soften the butter then add the garlic, Parmesan cheese, and parsley. Mix it around thoroughly. Split your loaf of French bread in half lengthwise and spread generously on cut sides.

Now here is the hard part. Put it under the broiler and WATCH IT CAREFULLY... IT BURNS QUICKLY! Broil to a wonderful dark golden brown!

Cut into slices and watch it disappear! Yum.

010- garlic toast 3

Garlic Toast


1 loaf of French bread, cut in half lengthwise
1/2 cup butter
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried parsley, crumble between your palms

Broil about 6-8 inches from flame for about 3-5 minutes.

4 comments:

Sarah E Boucher said...

My friend Misty has a recipe for garlic toast that has cream cheese in the spread...that will kill you dead...but it's REALLY good!

Anonymous said...

That's how I brown the marshmellows on sweet potatoes. One Thanksgiving I set the marshmellows on fire and Hav, Sharla and the girls were there to see it. From then on the girls weren't happy on Thanksgiving until I let the marshmellows catch fire. I though love burned marshmellows, yes I'm a sick-o so I would have the burned ones and put fresh ones, brown them slightly and serve them to the rest of the family. Another dead tradition. I bet you wanted to know all of that didn't you?

Anke said...

Oh yumm, that looks good enough to eat!!!! Beautiful photos as always! I really liked your icicle!

Mom and Dad said...

OK. So call me unappreciative for a recipe, but I like the "flaming toast" part the best. Thanks for a good laugh!!!