Aug 1, 2010

213- So What?

I want to share a thought from today's Sunday School class. Brother Terry Reid does such a wonderful job of helping us apply the scriptures to us here and now. He used to teach an institute class where he encouraged his students to ask, "So What?" One of his students was a 30-year old down's syndrome brother who would always pipe up at precisely the right moment with the question, "So What?"

We are studying the Old Testament this year. Today we discussed the story of the Prophet Elisha and Naaman, Syrian Captain.

First we read about Elisha's call in 1Kings 19:19-20

So he (Elijah) departed thence, and found Elisha the son of Shaphat who was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen before him, and he with the twelfth: and Elijah passed by him and cast his mantle upon him. And he left the oxen, and ran after Elijah, and said, Let me, I pray the, kiss my father and my mother, and then I will follow thee. (emphasis added)

Then we read about Naaman, who had leprosy. (2Kings 5:1-14) A little Hebrew maid (a captive slave from conquest) commented to Naaman's wife that if Naaman "were with the prophet that is in Samaria!... he would recover him of his leprosy." We know the story: Naaman went with all his pomp, his horses and his chariot, and stood at the door of the house of Elisha... but Elisha sent a messenger telling him to wash seven times in the Jordan. But Naaman was wroth! But his servants persuaded him to follow Elisha's counsel and he was healed.

SO WHAT?

How do I apply this to my life?

Elisha ran to the call to do the will of the Lord.

Naaman balked but ultimately obeyed.

But both men were blessed when they were obedience.

The Lord wants us to love and trust Him! Don't make it too complicated, just give the Lord your trust. He is trust-worthy.

It just resonated with me today and I wanted to share.

Today's photo of my beautiful shade-loving hostas really doesn't have anything to do with what I've shared. But they are beautiful, green, cool and have delicate light purple flowers and they make me happy.

213- hosta
FONT- Albemarle Swash, ACTION- DPMoms Perfect Workflow, (A2D)_Lomo_V2, BRUSH- RhonnaFarrer_2ps_SnapShot_Horizontal6, FRAME- (made from brushes) RhonnaFarrer_2ps_SnapShot

1 comment:

Dean and Sheri said...

Thank you for sharing your Sunday School lesson. We attended the last of the Marriage and Family relations class today. I've missed not going to Gospel Doctrine! Well, I did go when Dean subbed...he's gotta have that support, ya know. Also...LOVE the photos for your currant harvesting post.
Love ya,
Sheri