Aug 2, 2010

214- Remembering...

Today I am working on a special humanitarian project here in my happy creative space! I've pulled out my tubs of fabric, sorted, cut, ahh... and made a sample project first! (good for you little Joanie!) and all the while remembering an August eleven years ago.

214- quilts for kosovo
Top: my funny Stuart's hand, Little Mermaid, Faux Pieces, Sports Nut, Creamsicle, Love You Heart and Birds of Freedom. (BTW- this is a scanned page from my journal... remember when the thing to do was cut out your photos?)

I quote from my journal:

When we all gathered in Livermore (CA) for the blessing of little Caden and Cammi (little 2nd cousins) the Bishop read a letter in Sacrament Meeting stating that the Church would collect and distribute quilts to be sent to Kosovo to the ethnic Albanians who had been driven from their homes and are now returning to nothing.

It is one of those causes that grabbed me by my heart. I knew I had to make some. I'd had my eye on some fabric panels at Wal-mart that look like faux piecing. My original plan was to keep this quilt, but as I sewed it, I knew it HAD to go to Kosovo! I made it in 24 hours.

It went so fast that I went in to my stash in the garage and started looking:

Little Mermaid is a sweatshirt fabric for the top and jersey fabric on the backing. It is so warm and cuddly.

Years ago Holly gave me some 108" wide fabric to do a whole cloth quilt. But after my experience with Bek's white sunflower quilt, I didn't want to mark another. So I cut it up and made it into an Irish Chain pattern. It looks like a Creamsicle quilt. The kids said I should keep it too. This one took me 2 days to make.

At this point I asked my quilt friend, Ann, to donate some basting spray. She went further and gave me the bird fabric and the sports fabric so those two quilts came together.

In trying to find backing for the bird quilt I ran across the heart fabric and KNEW this had to be made also!


Each quilt is signed with: To Kosovo with Love, Joanie Lewis 1999, California, USA

I did this, not to get credit, but to let the recipients know that there is someone here who has thought of them with each stitch.

Some of the quilts are stippled with the same words as above. *Love You Hearts* has lots of free motion hearts. (Keep in mind this was all done on my little Kenmore sewing machine!)

It was a wonderful experience for me and my family. A friend, Sharon, from my quilt group also made 4 and I sent them along with my 6.

Come back tomorrow and I should have some of my 2010 Humanitarian Project items finished and photographed.

No comments: