Aug 7, 2010

219- Eviction Notice!

Last Wednesday I knew I finally needed to break down and mow the lawn! I went to my garden shed and when I opened the door it looked like my bag of potting soil had exploded! What the chicken? Why was there potting soil all over the floor in that corner of the shed?

I didn't have time to figure it out since there was a lawn to be mowed and a storm was a movin' in! I always start the mower in the shed and then close the doors again so I can mow in front of it. By the time I finished mowing it was hailing and all I wanted to do was just slammed that puppy in there as fast as I could... no time to figure out my mystery now!

Ah, but after I saw that my willow tree had split I had to go out there to get a saw to cut off the downed part before it did any more damage... THAT IS WHEN I SAW SOMETHING SKITTER AWAY FROM THE PILE OF POTTING SOIL TO ANOTHER CORNER OF THE SHED! I'd tell you that I wish Simba was still alive so he would catch it and take care of it... but knowing him he would have just given the little creature a relocation into my house!!

So today after I finished tidying up the poor broken willow and preparing all of the branches for Kevin-son to haul away I knew it was time to give that little creature his EVICTION NOTICE!

219- mouse

I started by cleaning up the potting soil. That little critter had pulled out about 3-4 gallons of potting soil! Stinkin' cow was he ever busy in his week-long stay at Shay-Lewis! Punk! He'd also found a bag of grass seed... ah, talk about your year's supply of food! Do you see how fat he is?

Anyway as I'm sweeping he darts out of the loose potting soil and I try to trap him with the broom. Yeah? Like what am I going to do if I actually catch him??? He darted to the back corner again... this means war!

219-shed

I started systematically removing everything from the shed so I could catch that little bounder! When I bent to pick up a bucket that I had a bunch of stakes in who do I see? Ah, little jumping mouse! I quickly pulled out the stakes and he was trapped in the bucket... not that he didn't try to jump right out (at me! EEEK!)

But since he is just one of God's little creatures I couldn't hurt him... I just don't want him on my property! I put him into a deeper bucket and walked him over to a grass field and set him free. Hope he enjoys roughing it now that he's been evicted from the luxury accommodations he's been enjoying!

2 comments:

Dean and Sheri said...

I *heart* dragonflies*! Everytime I try and get a picture they get away... =( Good job Joanie.

Dean and Sheri said...

Okay...so that last comment...wrong place! Duh. Anyway, THIS post was FUN (for me anyway)! And "what the chicken?" I think I have a new favorite "cuss" phrase! It's funny...Dean and I were in the truck yesterday and I had a random memory that I brought up. It goes like this...We were living our first apartment after we got married. We found we had a mouse. Dean caught it in a bucket, or something like that. I thought it was a cute little critter and wanted to "save it". We left it in a container with some kind of food, a little water and slits in the lid. Dean thought I was nuts. We came home from work the next day and it was DEAD! I felt terrible about that. Now-a-days when we find we have a mouse...we set the old traps out! Sad...