Aug 18, 2010

230- A Pawth, A Pawth!

Yes... it's a pawth! But the amazing thing is that it was finished in one day! What's up with that? Stuart had all of that sod out in as many hours as it would have taken me DAYS!

230- a paw-th

My fascination with pawths all began with Monty Python , uh, living in Palmdale on a corner lot. I had a frequent need to leave my house and head across the lawn to go to *P's* house or the Jarvis'.

Back in that day I was still young and spry and could mix concrete 40# bags at a time like a pro! I mixed and molded over 2 tons of concrete into pawths. And the one that headed east across the lawn became known as the P-pawth.

In April at a neighborhood wedding one of our backyard neighbor offered us lots and lots of rock! How could I go wrong with free rock? So along about June Stuart and Kevin-son (as opposed to Kevin-Kay) hauled a ton of rock (weight questionable) from my generous neighbor to my backyard where it has been waiting patiently for me to turn it into a beautiful path.

230- rock

This was the week! Stuart is finished at BYU and he had a few days off when he would be able to *help* me (read: Stuart does most of the work and I kibitz). He started removing all of the sod... and we aren't talking a small amount either!

230- stu shovel

Once Stuart had all the sod up (hey, I'm not a total slug, I dumped the sod from the garden cart into a pile!) it was time to level and start laying the rock. Now this is where my expertise came in! I have a good eye for level and love to play in the sand. We did take a small break, however, after I tried to cut off my left index finger with the splitting maul... don't ask... I'm hopeless. When we were about 3/4 of the way finished we were both pooping out... but pushed through to the end.

We were able to find lots more rocks for me to *save* in the little breech between my raised vegetable garden and the garden shed.

230- breech

We started about 9:30am and were finished by 6pm! Now that is what I call good help!

230- paw-th

My original load of rock was just a guesstimate... would you like to know how I came out? This is it! This is all the rock I had left after we finished the job.

230- leftover rock

Thank you Stuart... I couldn't have done this without you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

BEEEEutiful.

Dean and Sheri said...

What a lovely "pawth"! And Joanie...you make me tired! Which is sad because I'm actually younger than you but can't see myself doing a days hard labor like you can(and do). I admire you more than I can express. Stuart...what a good son. He's got his mom's hard working genes AND talent.

Anke said...

I am duly impressed! Your paths came out perfect and your guestimate was right on!!! You can come to visit any time, I have lots of stuff to be done :)

Mom and Dad said...

What a classy addition to your back yard, Joanie! I noticed your photos when you first posted them and it has taken me this long to comment -- wonderful.
And I love the "state tour" you did a few days later . . .
You are so fun!