Aug 23, 2010

235- Canna

A couple of weeks ago I went to *wander aimlessly at Home Depot* Does anyone else like to do that? I don't restrict myself just to Home Depot; Target, Wal-mart or Costco will do as well. I find the neatest things that way. I normally don't buy much... I suppose it is my version of *Retail-Therapy*!

I commented to the cute little garden check-out girl that I didn't like August at Home Depot because all the plants were gone. She asked me if I'd seen the clearance plants and I said yes thinking I HAD seen clearance tropical house plants. She told me they were outside.

I moseyed out there and saw 1 quart pots with huge perennial plants in them: lavender, white cone flowers (that smell so delicious), a yellow blossomed fern-y plant whose name I don't remember, some random bushes and these cannas! I fell in love with the beautiful striped foliage. It wasn't until I got home and started sticking them in the ground that I noticed the label saying it had bright orange blossoms.

235- canna bloom

Oh, my, what a treat! This will be a garden favorite for years to come.

235- canna

2 comments:

Breanne said...

Canna's are lovely. They are all over my yard here in Lehi. The previous owners LOVED them. They told us to pull them up in the fall and store them in the basement. Well, just having moved here, we didn't. There were thousands of other things to be doing. But this spring as I was cleaning up the yard I was cutting off dead old canna's everywhere. As the summer progressed the only ones that came back are the ones in the beds up by the house where it is warmer. They have now bloomed bright red. I am sad that I didn't take the time to dig up the dozens and dozens all around the rest of the yard that didn't servive the winter. They are beautiful. I LOVE your orange ones. I have been told they multiple like rabbits!

Cody said...

How pretty! Hey, next time you go to Costco come pick me up! I love to mosey.