Sep 2, 2010

244- Wat'z For Deener, Schnookims?

Eons ago, when I was a single mom I met the funnest lady, Anne. We would go to the single adult dances in the Bay Area and have so much fun. But then she met a hunky guy and got married (what's up with that?) Gordon and I met and were engaged.

Sadly, August 1981 was not a good month for any of us: my children died in a drowning accident, Shawn's parents were killed in an auto accident and Anne's mom died of cancer... all while we were on vacations. (We decided thereafter that if you go on vacation and nobody dies it's a good vacation.) All of this served to cement our friendship as couples. We had many good times together.

One evening we were going to have dinner at the Koontz's house. I grabbed up the phone, dialed their number from memory and asked in my best German impersonation voice, "Wat's for DEE-ner, Schnookims?" Much to my embarrassment I'd dialed the wrong number! So then I called to tell Annie and we all laughed like fools!

There was another night we were all together and Gordon had been teasing me. I got miffed and he started trying to make up to me. I told him, "Don't think you can kiss up to me!" Without missing a beat Anne asked, "Joanie, can anyone kiss UP to you?" (Again with laughing!)

In August 1982 we moved to Palmdale and shortly thereafter they moved to Utah. We've kept in touch over the years and got to see each other again this day at their second son's wedding reception.

It's always so nice to reconnect with dear, old friends.

244- schnookims
FONT- Albemarle Swash, ACTION- DPMoms Perfect Workflow, BRUSH- RhonnaFarrer_2ps_SnapShot_Horizontal6, FRAME- (made from brushes) Dezignus-Floral-Brushes, 17-Grunge-Border-Bars, recifedirty1

1 comment:

Anke said...

Your story about dialing the wrong number just cracked me up, how funny! I had no idea about that tragedy in your life, how horrible that must have been! Nothing like good friends, I love that beautiful photo of you all!