Oct 23, 2011

Search Engine for Blogger

My friend Anke, asked how I got my search engine. I told her briefly what I'd done and she wrote back,
"Oh my goodness, I am so computer stupid. I don't even know what that means LOL. What do you type in there???? Yikes"
I remember asking those very same questions from others (especially my niece, Cindy) out there in the blog-o-sphere. I was always so grateful for a step by step tutorial... So I'm going to do the same here.

  • First off- Go HERE to let Google do the hard part for you- write the HTML code for the search engine.  Follow the directions on that page and then leave the page open so you can refer back to it later on.
  • Now go to your blog (I will use my blog for the demonstration).
  • Click on the "Design" link at the top of the page (screen shot #1)

1- search engine tutorial

  • Click on the "layout" link (screen shot #2)
2- search engine tutorial

  • Click on the "Add a Gadget" link (screen shot #3)
3- search engine tutorial

  • This will open a new window.  Scroll down until you find the "HTML/JavaScript" and (you guessed it!) click on it! (screen shot #4)
4- search engine tutorial
  • Now go back to the page from the beginning of the tutorial, where you created your custom Google search engine. Highlight and copy the HTML code (ctrl+C or Command+C on mac) (screen shot #5)
5- search engine tutorial

  • Now paste that *party* code back into the Configure HTML/JavaScript window.  If you want to give it a title type that in the title box.
  • Get excited... we're almost finished!
  • Click "save".
6- search engine tutorial

  • Yay!  Reload your blogger page and you will find the search engine there (and happy).
7- search engine tutorial

I hope all of this works for you. I was thrilled to get a search engine on my blog. I don't know if anyone else will use it but I USE IT! My blog has so much info that I like to refer to.

BTW you don't have to have tags for this to work. 

No comments: