Jan 18, 2008

"Grammie... you live in a freakin' forest!"


Last Thursday our friend Shan dropped for a visit. When she was ready to leave at about 6:30pm we walked out the front door to find the "swine-deer" all over my yard and eating the ivy!! Shan exclaimed, "Grammie... you live in a freakin' forest!"

Most mornings I will come outside to find that the deer have been having a night-time snack and have dragged much of the snow off the ivy and onto the sidewalk. They don't seem to like the stems, but love the leaves. I guess it is a good thing that you almost can't kill ivy!

This is not the first time they have come down from the very close mountain to raid my front yard for food. (Fortunately, the backyard is fences and they don't know they could jump over!!)

They are not a bit shy about coming right up onto porches to get a better grazing spot.

We have a whole herd of resident deer that live here with us on Spring Cove Drive (aka 975 South). They are very adept at adapting to all of us humans that have moved into their neighborhood.
So yesterday I looked out my work room window and here they were by daylight. I sneaked outside with my camera to get some photographic evidence of their blatant activities.

I have to laugh just a little when I look across my front yard and see that they have worn a trough in the snow, their little highway to the ivy and treats beyond.

Sadly, this means that they will in all likelihood be back this spring to eat all of my tulips... oh well, isn't that what photographs are for?

I can't think of a more lovely place to live... so close to nature and more of God's little creatures.

1 comment:

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

I'd just plant tulips in the back garden where the fence protects them. I'd be too in love with the deer to tempt them to eat something that would make me scowl at them. ;)

Love,
Cindy