Oct 13, 2008

Apple-y Goodness

All of my gardener friends tell me that one must wait until after the first frost to harvest apples. That frost/freeze makes them even sweeter.

But what does one do when the weather changes abruptly from fall to W-I-N-T-E-R???? Well, this ONE prayed very hard that the snow would hold off so I could harvest my apples on Monday AND, hopefully, have my trees "naked" before it snows. (I really don't want to lose branches because I have snow on leafy trees!) Apparently I wasn't the only one praying! The forecast was for snow Saturday and Sunday. Thank goodness we didn't get any. BUT we did finally get that freeze!

So this morning I was out picking apples! Back when I was picking peaches I scored a gugalin of fruit boxes down at Ream's! I love to have a standard size box for my fruit (or anything for that matter)! I filled up the back of my little Bug-hauler!! I was absolutely amazed when we filled up every single box I had (14 in all!) and there are still apples on the tree. (of course, you have to be a monkey to get to them. So that counts me out!)

As anyone who has fruit trees knows- getting the fruit off the tree is just the beginning of the work. We sorted as we picked so any apples that had birdie-pecks, blemishes, or got dropped went into one box (that turned into 2 boxes) and the other boxes are the "good" ones. I knew that I would need to take care of the "questionable" fruit today or it would start to go bad. I ended up putting up 10 quarts of apple pie filling and 12 quarts of applesauce.

I love the fun kitchen gadgets that make this process so easy. I have my Vitorio Juicer that puts sauce down one shoot and peels, seeds, etc. out the end. But my favorite, hands-down, is my Pampered Chef corer-peeler-slicer! It really speeds up the job!

I just love the smell of apple-y goodness wafting in the kitchen!! Today I got to enjoy that smell... but with 12 more boxes of apples in the garage I have the feeling that I will be smelling that apple-y goodness for a couple of weeks!

4 comments:

Sarah E Boucher said...

Yummy! Makes me want apple crisp...my favorite fall treat (or basically anything that makes the ice cream on top melt). I can almost smell the appley goodness from here...

Lillie said...

WOW! You are amazing! You make me feel tired though. I'm sure all your hard work will be worth it this winter as you enjoy all your yummy apple things.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

I'll bet your kitchen smelled heavenly!!! Apples are the best grown in climates like yours. So sweet and full of yummy goodness. I'm about to write a post about our poor confused little apple tree. You'll see what I mean later today.

Love,
Cindy

Anke said...

I have that oh so wonderful gadget! I used to do a lot of canning and freezing but I noticed that my apples disappeared into the dark crevices of my freezer never to be seen again. I forget they are in there, LOL. Your jars look wonderful, send some over!