Jan 24, 2012

Joplin MO

Since we were only an hour's drive from Joplin MO we wanted needed to go.


I've seen photos online and TV showing the devastation but I don't think I was prepared for the vastness of the tornado's power.

Tornado's swath


I became aware that for every photo like this there is a family who've lost their home, possessions and, in some cases, loved ones. How can I even wrap my head around that?

Shattered Dreams


It has been 8 months since the May 22, 2011 EF5 tornado cut its way through Joplin. There are signs of reconstruction: new homes, half-built homes, new businesses but there are still the very visible demolished buildings left standing as a reminder.

Joplin High School

I can' help but think about my favorite parable of The Wise Man and the Foolish Man. The floods will come, the winds, ye the shafts in the whirlwind will blow (and the EF5 tornado will wreak its might blow) but the Wise Man, firmly rooted on the Rock, who is Jesus Christ, will still be standing, if somewhat weathered when the storm passes.

Steadfast and immovable


Truly we could not continue on this difficult course of life if it were not for our faith in our loving Savior.

No comments: