Nov 5, 2008

Roselawn

Returning to Livermore is always fraught with emotion. It usually includes a visit to Roselawn cemetery to visit Tony and Amanda’s grave. Perhaps if I’d lived there longer than 2.25 years there would be more to remember than just those difficult post-divorce years that were closely followed by Tony and Amanda's death.


I am so grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ! Where would I be without that hope of a glorious resurrection and the promise of being with my dear “babies” again? I am so grateful for the whispering of the Spirit that came to me on the last anniversary of their death: “Tony and Amanda have been spared the last 27 years of earth-life’s trials.”

With some planning this visit was perhaps a little less emotionally draining than previous ones. I brought a potted mum and my computer. I wanted to record some of my feelings there at the cemetery.


I visited with Cindy on Monday, the day before my visit here, and that is always a uplift for me. Then in the morning before I went to the cemetery Sue and I talked about them and the profound influence their passing has had on so many of the people we interacted with in our short time there.

At their funeral Bishop Probst told a story about a child who was critically ill and the herculean effort to fly the child to the United States for medical treatment. Just before the child was going to fly for said treatment she passed away. When people asked "Why?" the answer was so that many hearts could be stretched and touched. I saw that with Tony and Amanda... from the little lady who made Tony a white bow tie to be buried with to the Cub Scout troop from Sacramento that sold Christmas gift wrap and then brought the proceeds to me to help defray costs to the packed Pleasanton Stake Building for their funeral. There were so many wonderful people who reached out with prayers, gifts, and kind words. There are so many long lasting repercussions from their death that have shaped peoples lives for the better.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's very kind of you to share your tender and such a personal moment with us. You are such a special and wonderful character building friend and I really appreciate all you give us.

It will be a wonderful reunion when the time comes for Tony, Amanda and Rebekah together with their mother. I know Tony and Amanda miss you and Bek so much.

Love P

Anonymous said...

Cool picture of you in the computer. Such a great idea.

p

debra said...

Oh Joanie... what a sweet post about your sweet babies! And what a great idea to bring your blogging machine to record your thoughts while there. Those quiet moments, all alone, are sometimes the best to reflect.

You are such a strong woman and I can see how much this has shaped you. Gosh, you're amazing!

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

You KNOW how much I love you! I am in awe of your courage to photographically record your visit to Roselawn. I have to admit that I would have only been courageous enough to write, not shoot. As Auntie P said, it will be a wonderful reunion day. And I hope that after all the hugs between you, Amanda, Tony, and Bek that I will be able to sneak in there for a few.

Love,
Cindy

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Hi Joanie, Thanks for stopping by my site... had to come and visit you. So enjoyed my stay here.

I was moved by your comments about the hope of a glorious resurrection and your reunion with your loved ones. Loved how you put it...grateful for the whispering of the Spirit....

I too have been comforted by those whisperings when my own dad left this earth a number of years ago. He loved roses and grew them in his garden. I imagine him in heaven in his garden next to his mansion....it gave me great peace and joy at the time. Still does!