Apr 18, 2008

California Poppies

Being a 3rd generation Californian I gained a real appreciation for this happy little flower that is our State Flower. In Northern California we would only see them in happy little clumps along side the country roads we drove so I was totally unprepared for the grand show that is staged each spring in the Antelope Valley.

In all my years living in Palmdale (23 to be exact) I never tired of seeing the California poppies each spring. Gordon worked for most of those years in air traffic control at various facilities. He would get pilots who would ask what the carpet of orange was.

This year is one of the special treats desert-rats get when there are plentiful spring rains creating a marvelous profusion of poppies to be enjoyed. I can't even imagine how many millions of little flowers are required to all bloom at once to create this dramatic landscape.


I was lucky enough to time my trip to CA (for Grammie duties)at the peak of the season. Pauline and I went out to enjoy the poppies on Saturday. What a lift is was for my tired soul to see God's handiwork. How grateful I am for eyes to see!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joanie:
What a cute pic of you and Pauline. And those poppies are incredible! I have never seen anything like it!
Sue

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

How absolutely gorgeous! I have a favorite calendar photo of the Antelope Valley poppies. Your photo is even better.

Love,
Cindy