May 31, 2008

The Wise Man

One day recently when I was studying the scriptures I gained an interesting insight into the parable of the Wise Man and the Foolish Man. It was so glaringly obvious to me that day I wondered why I’d never thought of it before. But that is the beauty of constant scripture study, there is always something new to be learned.

As I read in Matthew
“Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.”
“And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house and it fell: and great was the fall of it.” (Matt 7:24-27 italics added)

Then the thought came to me that the wise man had to endure the storm just as the foolish man did! Just because the wise man built his house upon the rock didn’t exempt him from the storm. The wind still blew and the rains still descended, the floods came and great was the storm thereof! Hmm… epiphany! We still have to weather the storm, BUT if we are built upon the Rock (our Savior, Jesus Christ, and his Gospel) we will still be standing when the sun comes out again. Happy thought!

Since then I’ve found other scriptures that support this idea:
And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundations; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall. (Helaman 5:12)

I can bear fervent testimony that this is a true principle. Trials will come, we will all face adversity BUT if we build upon our sure foundation, Jesus Christ, He will support us and strengthen us through it all!

1 comment:

NanaSue said...

Joanie:
I appreciated your thoughts on trials. It was very appropriate for this beautiful Sunday morning. How glad I am for the faith we have in Jesus Christ, and that he makes all the trials worth while. Love you,
Sue