May 4, 2008

Women's Conference

Last year, after living in Utah for 2 years, I decided to attend BYU Women’s Conference. I didn’t have anyone to go with, but that was ok, I’m a big girl. I was so impressed by the wonderful outpouring of the Spirit that I wrote to my family and friends and encouraged them to watch the rebroadcast on KBYU. Then Cindy gave me the best heads-up of all… some of the WC addresses were offered as Podcasts at iTunes (LDS Voices). I have thoroughly enjoyed them. I frequently have trouble falling asleep at night so I will listen to them (or General Conference address) until I am ready to go to sleep.

This year I got a lovely treat. Both Ann and Rebekah said they would like to come to Women’s Conference with me. Ann and Wayne came up Wednesday night and stayed here with us until Saturday. Rebekah flew in Wednesday evening and stayed with Camille in Provo. What a fun treat for them to have a girls’ visit.

I felt just a little bit like a child on Christmas Eve. I was so excited to be able to share this experience with my family! The night before I packed snack bags for each of us in case we got the rumblies in our tumblies! Sometimes it is hard to work in time to stop and eat.
(*I got artsy with this photo. You have to do something when you ask some random person to take your photo and it ends up all blurry! This is a wonderful technique from Kimi. The frame is from OScrap's Moonrise kit)

I just can’t even imagine how much work goes into organizing Women’s Conference! They do a lovely job of accommodating thousands of women. This year we stayed for the Thursday night service activities and the concert (Rebekah said she enjoyed watching Ann and I get jiggy with Eclipse). We started our day at 7 am and finished at about 11 pm… I was tired. There are always so many choices for the classes that I always have a hard time deciding which ones to take. I’ve pretty much decided that I will rarely be disappointed regardless which class I take.

This year the closing address was President Thomas S Monson. I was excited as I contemplated the fact that I would be in the same room with the Prophet of God (albeit a very large room… the Marriot Center). As he entered we all rose and after finishing the song we were singing, we broke into spontaneous song, We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet. The Spirit was very strong, confirming what I already knew, that Thomas S. Monson is the Lord’s prophet here on earth. What a marvelous blessing to have that witness borne so strongly.

So, once again, I will encourage anyone who wasn’t able to attend to watch the rebroadcast on KBYU May 15 & 16. I know I will be there!


(*this is the photo I started with)

No comments: