Dec 1, 2009

335- Christmas at My House

It is interesting how our perspective changes as we grow older. As a child I was always so anxious for Christmas. I could hardly wait to see that I'd gotten in my stocking and from my family! We always had a silver-tip fir for our Christmas tree. Mom would wrap the trunk with tinsel (the same strand each year) and we would hang on all of our ornament; some having belonged to her mother. It was a happy time.

As a young mother I usually made myself crazy, stressed, and frazzled trying to make Christmas just perfect for my family. I've always made most of my gifts. I would spend hours sewing pajamas, coats and the like.

When my kids were still home decorating for Christmas was always a big deal. I have 14 (count them... fourteen!) large plastic storage containers where all of my decorations live. The kids and I would put on Christmas music and *deck the halls*. We loved it. Then sometime after the 1st of the year we had to take all of that down again... and the kids didn't think that was so fun.

About 8 years ago I decided I wanted to have some themed Christmas trees so on Black Friday I bought a set of 3 trees on super-sale and got different decorations for each one.

For several years we had our big tree and then the little ones as well; but I find that as I get older somehow the work just sucks all the joy out of decorating. Last year I had the bright idea to carry my trees, completely decorated, down to the dungeon. They have lived there happily all year and were just waiting to be carried back upstairs again. Yay... I found a way to take the work out of decorating.

335- my home
FONT- Albemarle Swash, BRUSHS- Holly Pack by vaia.deviantart.com ACTION- DPMoms Perfect Workflow, (A2D)_Lomo V_2

So for today... the 1st of December, I *put up the trees* and hung my bush lights on the 3 little Christmas trees that grow by my house. I love the look... but most of all I love the fact that there is no craziness, stress or being frazzled.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Lovely. And I LOVE your tiny trees. And you nativity. You should take pictures of those, too. (How 'bout if I just make myself the boss of your blog? :P ) Goygeous.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful as always. I miss Christmases past and you and all the kids and families of Christmas eve and . . . everything.

Sarah E Boucher said...

It looks lovely! And what a clever thing to do....if only I had the room for that! But little twinkly lights just make me happy :) And boxes are daunting. I just have 1 and I opened it and just stared at it for 30 minutes, took one thing out....then closed it because I just didn't know what to do!