Jul 3, 2010

184- Camille-y's Kitchen

Day Two of painting at Camille and Kevin's new house. Auntie P and I went back to finish the blood-letting (see yesterday's post) in Camille's kitchen.

In the time it took me to put a second coat on the little wall around the pantry doors and around the window, tape the pop-outs on the pantry doors, paint, remove tape, touch-up and clean-up in the kitchen Auntie P painted the big wall in the kitchen, the small wall that wraps around the pantry into the living room, down the hallway; both sides, and part of the entry way! What's wrong with this picture?

184- pantry

See those beautiful straight edges? Yep, Auntie P taught me a trick for getting those. After painting the doors (wall) the lighter color I applied the painter's tape, I used the green, but blue works too. Then with a small brush, I painted right along the inside edge with clear Gesso (it is used by artists to coat a new canvas and can be found with artist supplies at any craft store). The Gesso seals the little places under the tape that leaves that fuzzy edge that we all hate. After I let the Gesso dry I applied the regular wall paint. Let the wall paint dry and carefully remove the tape. It pays to do this slowly so as not to pull off any paint. I also learned that I needed to let the base color (in this case the white) dry overnight before taping. I didn't on a few of the pop-outs and had trouble with the tape pulling off the white paint.

184- window

The window looks a little bare, but just imagine it with cute curtains! And look out the window at all the trees... such a beautiful shady backyard.

1 comment:

Cody said...

I've always wanted a red kitchen! This place is so cute, you guys are doing a great job. You're invited to come visit us for a month or two when we finally buy a house-- and you can feel free to paint ours as well :)