Jul 11, 2010

189- Let the Decorating Begin!!


How does one make a cultural hall that normally looks like this...

BEFORE





Look like this?

AFTER


I can tell you, because I just happened to know:
  • 400 YARDS of black organza
  • 11 strings of twinkle lights
  • copious amounts of sticky, red, *out-of-date* duct tape (sorry Holly)
  • 275 feet of wire
  • 2-3 gross of safety pins to hold the organza to the wire and close up gaps
  • AND, most importantly, MANY WILLING AND HELPFUL FRIENDS working for 8 hours!!!

And let's be real honest!... here are the two girls that really made this happen. They both were there from start to finish. Rebekah, my daughter, and Jaquelle, my former A-#-1 babysitter and *daughter-by-choice*.



I explained how we wanted the finished cultural hall to look, gave my suggestions and then they were off and running... AND climbing (funnily enough neither of them like heights... but here they are at the tippy-top of the ginormous ladder... thank you Brother Girot!)

We (you notice I like to say WE?) started by stringing a narrow cable between the two raised basketball hoops. Next we ran narrow gauge wire through the eye hooks that are thoughtfully provided so we can put up these beautiful decorations (and also to remind us that we don't staple gun into the beautifully plastered walls or wood!) We wrapped the lights around the wire and taped them in place so they wouldn't slip or come unwound (Notice the entrance of the dreaded sticky-red-tape?)



Then we put up that first piece of uncut fabric to get the correct measurements and, using it as a pattern, cut another 15 pieces, for a total of 16- 75 foot long pieces that draped tent-like over the center cable and behind the narrow wire running around the perimeter of the cultural hall.

Camille and Kevin came long enough to see how the first piece looked up and then were off to get all of their last minute preparations and errands finished.



It was fun as new people would show up to introduce everyone to each other... here's an example:

"This is my daughter, Rebekah, and her *daugher-by-choice*, Erica. This is Desi's, Camille's *sister-by-choice*. This is Auntie P, my sister by choice. This is Jaquelle, who *belongs* to both of us as a *daughter-by-choice*... you get the picture? What a marvelous blessing to have dear, dear friends that become part of our families!!

We ran out of wire half way around so we started putting up tables while Auntie P made a run to get wire, ribbon for the bouquet, and pick up the flowers from Wright's Wholesale Flowers. Soon the chair covers and linens arrived courtesy of Gordon. And Candi and Brittany made a pizza run for my crew of hungry workers.



We had to climb up and down, up and down with our heads under the organza... it didn't take long to get totally charged up!!! This job will really make your hair stand on end.



Just before linens and pizza arrived Stuart walked in to a chorus of "Stuey!!" from Auntie P and I.



It didn't take long for him to start up and down that ladder as well demonstrating his monkey skills.



After Bek and Stuey finished the south end of the room he took Bek's place on the ladder with Jaquelle so Bek could start on the flowers.



While all of this scurrying up and down ladders was going on there was a flurry of activity on the floor arranging tables, putting on chair covers, tying hundreds of bows (ok... only 64 or so!), placing linens, beautifully crocheted doilies (thank you Shirley, they were exquisite!) and finally, the center pieces of white Gerbera daisies in a square glass vase on the tables.



And Auntie P?... she was always there to make us laugh and keep us all in line.



After most of the crew had left I found Rebekah, Jaquelle and Erica in the kitchen wiring flowers for the bouquet. I quickly learned to wire Gerberas and roses with the best of them while Erica wrapped them with florist tape.



Before long it was time to call it a day, Bek finished the bouquet so she could go to dinner at Olive Garden with the rest of the bridesmaids and then a bachelorette pedicure party. Auntie P, Jaquelle and I finished up the last of the last and headed out.

I wish that I could have had everyone that helped there at one time for a group photo. As it was, I got very few photos (thank you Auntie P for sharing yours). As best as I can remember we had: Kristi (her little boys... who helped move several small tables) and her daughter, Ashley, Kristi *my* daughter and baby Jackson (who did what he does best, look very cute), Melodee, my niece, Candi and her daughter Brittany, Rebekah, Erica, Jaquelle, Auntie P, Stuart, Desi, Allison, Gordon, Shirley, Kevin's mom, Kevin and Camille and little old me. (And if I've forgotten someone, please remind me in the comments)

Thank you so much for all your help... it wouldn't be beautiful without you!

16 comments:

Bouchizzle said...

It was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I've never seen anything like it. You couldn't even tell that it was a church gym! WAY TO GO!!!!

(The bride and groom were lovely too. It was so good to see you guys!)

Laura H said...

Yikes I'm exhausted and I didnt do a thing. You guys did a wonderful job!

Mom and Dad said...

What a fun account of a family "project" for Camille & Kevin.
Glad for all the pics.
Love the finished product.

moh122011 said...

How wide were your strips of organza for the ceiling? We are trying to do the same thing and can't decide what width to use.

Joanie said...

moh122011-
I wanted 120 in but ended up getting twice as much (400 yards) of 60" because that was as wide as we could find. We got it in the fabric/ garment district in downtown LA. Where are you located?
Is black the color you want?

CarlingSC said...

That looks so beautiful! I hope I am able to do something similar for my reception! How early in advance did you set it up before the actual day? It's gorgeous! Way to go!

CarlingSC said...

Where did you buy the props to decorate the ceiling with? Sorry it's years later, but if you remember I would LOVE to know! Thanks!

Joanie said...

KearlSC

*I got the string lights from

http://www.shindigz.com/

I got the ones with white wire because those were the cheapest at the time. But I see that the green wire is now $5 less per string than the white.

* The wire I just got at my local hardware store. I got light gauge wire to go around the room through the eye hooks. The string lights are taped to the wire and the organza goes over the wire and is safety pinned to hold it in place.

* The cable that runs from the basketball hoops is also from my local hardware store. Ask and they will also be able to get you the fasteners that secure the ends.

* The organza was purchased at the Garment District in LA but a friend in my ward just did similar decorations for her daughter's wedding and used white tulle.

* Another thought- I rented mine several times to others and that ended up paying for most of it. I'd offer it to you but it is presently out being used.

Good luck and contact me if you have any other questions.

CarlingSC said...

Thank you so much for answering my questions. How much would you rent it for? and would you be willing to ship it? I live in Idaho. Thank you!

Joanie said...

KearlSC,
The bolts of fabric are huge! 5' long and at least 18" in diameter AND heavy. The lights fill a box about the size of a boot box. I think it would be cost prohibitive to ship this. Where do you live in Idaho? I could possible meet you in Salt Lake City.

Phylicia said...

Hi Joanie,
I am attempting to so something similar for a family member this July. I know it's been years but do you remember the exact brand of gauge wire you bought and the hardware shop where they were purchased? Same for the fasteners, do you remember these details? I ask because I am not handy in the least bit (I do not even know what a gauge wire/fasteners are) so I need step by step cook book instructions so I can see if we can pull this off. I really want to make it beautiful for her. Please let me know. Thank you for you post.

Phylicia said...

Hi Joanie,
Just trying to make sure that my questions about the fasteners and the wire posted.

Brand and store??

Joanie said...

Phylicia-
I got my supplies at my local hardware store, Sunroc, so that's no help. I don't remember the gauge of cable either. But let me tell you what I did. I went to the hardware store and explained to the fellow what I wanted to do he helped me pick out the right fasteners and cable. Be sure to measure the length of your cultural hall before you purchase the wire so you get enough. Mine was slightly too short. My cable is twisted wire and is slightly larger than worsted yarn. Around the outside of the room was just a light gauge wire maybe 2 mm.
Please read through the comments prior to yours for more info. We did a lot of make-it-up-as-you-go to fit our particular cultural hall.
Good luck

Phylicia said...

Thank you:)

Unknown said...

How long were the strips of fabric that you used? How many did you cut? I am wondering if the cutting and maybe fray-checking the ends earlier before the even would cut down on prep time the day of decorating.

Joanie said...

Kitesoverthedesert- You may notice that this decorating all happened 6.5 years ago. I don't remember how long the pieces were, but it wouldn't matter since each cultural hall will be slightly different.
Also I've rented/loaned this same fabric several times over the years and the last time it came back it wasn't wrapped up tightly enough so I rerolled them. There was no fraying so I don't think I'd spend the time or expense fray-checking.
Good luck with your decorating.