Jul 31, 2010

212- Changing Japanese Maple

One of the things that I like best about my Japanese Maple is her constantly changing leaf color. I did a quick Google search to see if this was normal and found that there are many cultivars of the Acer palmatum.

This beauty lives just outside my front window sharing the planter bed with ivy (aka deer food), a couple of miniature rose bushes, my Hens & Chicks plant, oh, and don't forget my little baby Christmas tree (I don't know it's real name). It is the center-piece of that bed in all of her showy color.

It always starts out in the spring with crimson-red leaves which fade as the summer progresses to nearly a solid green with just touches of a darker red. Then in the fall it turns bright red again.

212- japanese maple

What's not to love about this beauty? Last year it even provided natural, yet early, Christmas decorations.

212- japanese maple close up

1 comment:

Heather said...

Japanese maple might be the most beautiful trees of all - I love, love, love them. My goal is to have a few planted someday in my currently treeless backyard. That is, if I can ever get past the black thumb thing. {Do people ever get over this?}

Your current jam makes me salivate!!!