Jul 30, 2010

210- Currant Picking

This day was THE day... I've put off the task of picking currants for too long because it was just too hot and I was just too tired.

Ah, but this day? This day was just right! I woke up to cloud cover and temperatures still in the 70's by the time I could get out there!

210- currants

This can be such a hot thankless job! I've learned many coping mechanizes that help me out while I do yard work, but this year I really perfected it. Previously I would try to prop up my beach umbrella with my garden cart; that only lasts until the first wind hits it.

Do you know how it is when you think of the solution and all of a sudden it hits you and you say, "What took me so long?" It was one of those moments last week while I was broiling under the blazing sun picking raspberries... duh! zip-tie the pole of the umbrella to one of my camp chair! Viola! Perfect solution!

210- umbrella

And I'm not shy with these happy little bushes either... I just get up close and personal with them using my legs and arms to hold the branches apart while perched on the edge of my chair.

210- picking

With good company, this job goes so much easier. This day it was C S Lewis' The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe read by a fellow almost as talented as Jim Dale.

When it was all said and done, three hours later, I had three big bowls full of currants...

210- 3-bowls-full

Bet you'll never guess what I'm going to do next!

3 comments:

Anke said...

oh my goodness, this reminds me of growing up! Our neighbor had bushes and we used to pick them. Then separate them with the tines of a fork! Wonderful shots!!!

Sarah E Boucher said...

Those are beautiful! Can't imagine how rough it is pulling those little things off the bush...but I bet the jelly is great on biscuits :)

Mom and Dad said...

Know something?? What a huge blessing it is to NOT "have a job"!!! What a huge privilege to have time to DO what you feel like YOU SHOULD. You are always so happy, and part of it is that you are always busy with a variety of things - - - The other part is, you are so appreciative of great blessing and happy oddities as they come along.
I have been reading your blogs backwards since Sep 5th . . . What a wonderful kaleidoscope of joyous experiences you have had, just for YOU, because you enjoy them and you APPRECIATE them.
You are so dear, my Joanie!
I love the currants. I love the diadies for the "fellow babies". I love the Stu-ey and Doug and Jessica and their precious ones. I love hearing about the Thanksgiving Pt. shuttle service conductored by DeLorious and JB. I love seeing Gordie tying ties and labeling books. I love the bugs, hummingbirds and little captured free-loading mousies.
What a wonderful, colorful, sweet rainbow you have been blessed to build these past weeks!!