Sep 7, 2010

250- DYI Stump Removal

I'm a great one for looking online to figure out how to do something! I love how much information is at my fingertips.

After my willow's demise I'm left with a stump that needs to come out. Perhaps if it wasn't smack-dab in the middle of my lawn I would choose the *let-it-rot-out* technique I used for the eight quakies (quaking aspen) that had to come out the second year we were here. But I really do want to get another shade tree, STRONG, somewhat wind-resistant shade tree going in that exact spot by next spring.

So after much investigation I decided to use dynamite and blow it out! (See the YouTube video at the end) My across-the-street-neighbor told me that he had a former neighbor in west Springville who did just that... and blew up part of his house! True story!

Really I decided to use the quick-rot-burn-it-out-technique. You cut the stump close to the ground (we'd left ours about 3' tall so we could dig and pull).

So today I got out my trusty electric chain saw and cut that bad-boy down. It was rather large where all the trunks converged so I cut that 3' chunk into several smaller pieces. This one just begged to me to saved it from the neighbor's fireplace... so I obliged and it now decorates my front porch. (I'm in hopes that one of my *turning* friends will make something for me out of it when it is dried)

250- star stump

Just look at the growth rings on this! I planted it in 2005, if you start on the outside ring and count backward from 2010 you will see just how small it was and how much it grew each year. Sadly, fast-growing tree is synonymous with brittle-tree.

250- growth rings

Here's what's left in the ground. The directions on the StumpOut container says to drill vertical holes 10" deep then drill an angled hole from the side of the trunk that intersects the vertical hole. Measure in StumpOut, fill with water and then wait! HA! I can do that. Then next spring (or 4-6 weeks later) pour kerosene in holes, allow it to soak into the wood. Place briquettes on top and light. It will be a non-flame smoldering fire that burns for several days and leaves you with a hole of ash.

250- stump

I promise I won't resort to dynamite. But, you know what? This is funny to watch!

4 comments:

Dean and Sheri said...

Awesome stump on your porch! A nice memento. And Joanie...I can just see you now, chainsaw in hand, givin' heck to that stump. Makes me smile. =)
One more thing...I don't know anything about the product you're using, but did you research to make sure it won't prevent another tree growing there next season? With some products like that it could take a few years before you can plant something else.

Joanie said...

Sheri... opps... too late now. I will find out.

Laura said...

You go girl! You have great skills.

Laura H said...

I often use the dynamite technique while cleaning my kids' rooms.