May 16, 2011

Strawberry Lemon Tart

Several weeks ago my friend, Sheri, post a photo of a luscious dessert she'd made for her family! It was a strawberry mango tart! Oh My YUM! Did I ever want some!! Being an old hand in the kitchen, it was something she'd just whipped up on a whim. I hounded, begged, asked her for her recipe, which she kindly shared. BUT COULD I FIND IT? Umm, no...

So also being an old hand in the kitchen (and having the ability to Google recipes) I give you my offering of Strawberry Lemon Tart-

strawberry,food,tart

Strawberry-Lemon Tart
1 Easy Tart Crust Recipe (below)
1/2 Lemon Curd Recipe (below)
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 pint strawberries, sliced

Roll out pastry dough in a large circle (slightly larger than your tart pan. I have a 11" pan). Carefully transfer the pastry dough into your pan. Pat it into the pan and then pinch of the extra on the fluted edge. Prick dough with a fork at about 1/2" intervals. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove pan to rack and cool.

Prepare Lemon Curd using the recipe below.

In a bowl whip cream cheese and powdered sugar until fluffy. Stir in 1/2 Lemon Curd recipe into the cream cheese mixture. Pour into cooled tart shell. Refrigerate for an hour or two until set. Just before serving arrange sliced strawberries on filling. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.

(This was a big hit with all the epicureans at my house last night. "It's crazy good!")

Easy Tart Crust
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3 tablespoons (or more) ice water
2 tablespoons chilled whipping cream

Blend flour and salt in processor. Add butter; using on/off turns, cut in until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 3 tablespoons ice water and cream. Process just until moist clumps form, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; chill 1 hour. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep chilled. Soften slightly at room temperature before rolling out.)

(I used my food processor, but just turned it on high and waited for it to resemble coarse meal.  I didn't wait to roll it out and it was just fine.)

Lemon Curd (Also from Sheri!)
7 large egg yolks
2 large eggs
1 cup plus 2 Tbs granulated sugar
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh grated lemon zest (micro-plane)
4 Tbs butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (unsalted but sometimes I don't have it)
3 Tbs heavy cream

Whisk the yolks, whole eggs, and sugar til combined. Whisk in juice, zest and salt in a medium nonreactive saucepan. Add butter and cook over med/low heat stirring constantly til curd thickens to a thin, sauce-like consistency, about 5 min...but I usually go to about 170 degrees.

Strain through fine mesh strainer into non-reactive bowl and stir in the cream.

This is so yummy on toasted English muffins... or just about anything.  Sheri says she loves it more than chocolate!

2 comments:

Sarah E Boucher said...

I love lemon curd...but I'm lazy and just get it @ the store by the jam :)

Twinmomwv said...

Oh my this looks delicious.

Sorry to contact you this way, but I didn't see an email listed on your profile. I saw your comment on the Rita's Rump Pocket pattern comment section. A friend and I are starting to organize a diaper sewing project in our ward to send to Belize. We also hope to expand it to a stake level. Which pattern did you make? I'm thinking that doing the cover might be better since we would be able to make so many more. Any thoughts?