Feb 2, 2016

Liam's 1st Cake Smash

This little happy-boy is 1-year old! I can hardly believe it that this year has passed so quickly. So grateful for this wonderful, happy little soul.

Back in September, when Fiona had her 2nd birthday, Camille & Kevin's oven was on the fritz so I offered to make her cake. So I asked, ever so nicely, even though their oven is fixed, if I could make Liam's cake too.

I used little 3" cake pans to make this tiny layer cake for the birthday boy. Camille and I had talked extensively about color options (has to be chocolate frosting to show up well in the photos) so when I found this Fun-Fetti chocolate frosting I knew it would be the pip!!

I wanted that big-#1 candle to show up so how do I keep the frosting off the center of the cake? Erm... I looked around the kitchen and found that the lid to my big BeauMonte seasoning jar would just do the trick. I put it in the middle, put on the sprinkles, then removed the lid. Voile!

 photo 1- Liams cake_zpsumnpjs4l.jpg

Daddy lit the candle, with help from Miss Bitty, and we sang that cake right into the front room to the birthday boy!

 photo 1- happy bday candle_zpsivx9qkst.jpg

He was anxious to get at his cake.

 photo 1- i want my cake_zpsuxmnnsol.jpg

His first taste was very tentative and timid.

 photo 1- first taste_zpsckpv7jqn.jpg

But it didn't take long for him to get right into it. "This tastes pretty good!"

 photo 1- mmmm-nom-_zpsbkoet79i.jpg

He made good use of the disposable drop-cloth Mama had the foresight to provide by doing some interpretive finger painting...

 photo 1- finger paints_zpsrxgqnugp.jpg

But not for long... this was way too yummy!

 photo 1-NOM-NOM-NOM_zpseufv6rpx.jpg

He got two fists-full of cake but would only eat off his right hand.

 photo 1- fistsful of cake_zpsnjyph4iu.jpg

He even ended up with on his darling little toesies!

 photo 1- toesies too_zpspns6nkgc.jpg

By the time Grammie took him away for his wash-off bath (with much protestations) this was all that was left of Grammie's masterpiece. And I couldn't be more pleased!

 photo 1- aftermath_zps5mtd0ykx.jpg

Lots of family came to witness this happy right of passage including Miss Emmy June (caught mid circus trick)

 photo 1- EmmyJune_zpswfii6s4a.jpg

And Aunt Jessie, who loves all things baby! (I love this wonderful woman!)

 photo 1- Jess amp Emmy_zps0uop6m9c.jpg

I think Kevin summed it up best in this Facebook post-
My amazing son Liam turns one today and I'm feeling so incredibly honoured to be his dad! He makes me smile daily and I can't remember a world without him it because he makes life so much better!! Love you son!!

No comments: