Mar 30, 2008

No More Palmdale 2nd Ward

I got word from Camille (and via the Mormon grapevine) that there is no more Palmdale 2nd Ward! The only thing I can think to say is that I am blown away!

Wow! How can that be? I spent 23 years there. I watched it surge with uncontrolled growth and just about as quickly hemorrhage to near extinction. But I never thought there would be no more 2nd ward!

For several years many have said that "they" needed to combine Palmdale 1st & 2nd wards... so what did I think would happen? I'm not sure... but no more 2nd ward?

I think the thing that stuns all of us is that if we still lived in Palmdale we wouldn't be in 2nd ward anymore (duh). They divided 2nd ward and sent all west of 35th East to 1st Ward and all East of 35th East to 4th Ward (meeting out in the Littlerock building). The up side is that there are many friends that have been axed out of the ward in earlier splits that will be reunited- Tongs come to mind right off. I always missed them.

I realize that the point is moot for me, I don't live there anymore, but it is kind of like when Mom died and there was no more family in Greenville. Hard to explain... but definitely a feeling of loss at something that will never be again.

2 comments:

drtom said...

This makes me sad! I was a missionary in the Palmdale 2nd Ward from June 1999 until I left the mission in November 1999. It was one of my favorite areas, with great members there. I remember the ward mission leader Mark Sommers, and the Millers and the Giffords among others. When did you move away from Palmdale?

Cyndi White- Moore said...

I moved back to Palmdale (after being away for about 6 years) & I too was blown away by the lack of a 2nd ward.. and how few members seemed to remain / be active. I was introduced to the church in 4th ward, baptized into 1st ward, moved (within 3 months of being baptized) into 2nd ward, and that's where I stayed until I was 18.Now that the wards have been all twisted up it's interesting. I was sad at first when I stayed at my moms house & had to go to 4th ward (she lived on 35th E) but it's an amazing ward. Then we got our apartment on 20th E. & are in 2nd ward & the ward is also amazing (wouldn't expect any less).So now I'm at the point where the lack of a 2nd ward doesn't upset me- it's the thought that when I joined the church (1998) there were days sacrament was too large & they'd open the accordian wall thing into the hall & put chairs in it just to fit everyone.. now we're still pretty full (but an entire ward was absorbed into the other 2) so that's a lot of missing members.