Dec 19, 2008

POTD Nineteen

One of my distinct December memories from my childhood was my sweet Momma being sad and crying a few days before Christmas. She would tell me that she missed her mother who’d died just before Christmas many years ago. But children don’t seem to comprehend that their parents once were children and what a blow this had to be for my own mother.

Photobucket
Elsie Marie & baby Elsie Louise summer 1913
Sadly, my granddad’s world came crashing down around his ears when his sweetheart wife, Elsie Marie Ernestine Pump, died and left him with 3 children; my mom, Elsie, 14, Jack, 8 and baby Fred, only 3 months old. From family photos and what I remember my mom telling me my mom was sent to a Catholic Boarding School (Presentation Convent graduating in May 1930) and Jack and Fred went to the IOOF Orphans' Home Gilroy CA (I have a photo dated May 1928 taken there) and eventually ended up with Mrs. Tennant in foster care (where I’ve found them listed on a census as boarders).

Photobucket
Bill and El circa 1910
After graduation young Elsie, just 17, came home and raised her brothers.

Photobucket
Undated photo of Elsie Marie Ernestine Pump probably 1910

That is all I know about this Gra’ma I never met. But as I get older I feel more and more longing to know her and the woman that she was. I can’t help but think of the Primary hymn (again, with the Primary songs! LOL) The Hearts of the Children… another one that speaks to my heart.

The hearts of the children turn to their fathers.
Malachi prophesied the hearts shall turn.
Elijah fulfilled the prophecy.
And fam’lies can be sealed for eternity.


An interesting aside: I don’t remember specific lessons or teachers but I have hundreds of primary song that fill my mind. I suppose that tells plainly why they effect me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How beautiful are those pictures of the love that started the family that gave me my best friend ever. It will be a wonderful day when we all meet our ancestors and feel the love they had for each other and for those to come.

Christmas sure brings out the sentiment in us. That is the other benefit of this glorious season.

Mom and Dad said...

I took that first photo to my 1999 art class to try to draw it. I realized that it was taken in 1913 shortly after our mom was born, probably on the day she was christened. That little snapshot is nearly 100 years old now. Amazing that a little scrap of paper could be so very old and still have its wonderful image.
I love Grandma El's smile and her hands. As I tried to capture her image, I realized she passed them on to her daughter, our Mom.
Thanks, Joanie, for your sweet thoughts about the Grandma none of us ever knew, except through our Mom.

Carol said...

Your photos are amazing and the story behind them amazing.

Jessica said...

Wow. What beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing them with us.
P.S. I love your guts

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

I have to agree with you... I grew up hearing about El from Grammy so much and have always longed to know El better. Someday... someday...

Love,
Cindy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.