Dec 8, 2008

POTD Eight

Close to 50 years ago (now that is truly frightening!!) my Daddy granted my every-little-girl's-wish and got me a horse.

The most wonderful thing about this particular horse is that he didn't require any special care to remain my healthy friend!

Photobucket

If this faithful friend ever had a name I don't remember it. What I do remember was how excited I was to see him. He was sleek, smooth and tan. He had shining silver eyes (made from chair leg protectors) and the coolest bridle (made with two eye hooks and a piece of rope). His sturdy body was an old piece of telephone pole and his long slender legs and beautifully shaped head were made of 2 x 4 scraps. I rode him for many a miles, never leaving the comfortable shade of our back porch.

When a few more years passed and I got a real-live-breathing-eating-has-to-be-taken-care-of-horse my first friend was not forgotten. In fact he wore the saddle and bridle far more than Blue, and later, KC ever did.

He's traveled with me in all of the years since he first became my friend and for the last 10 of those years he has waited patiently outside my front door to welcome all of my visitors.

Do you suppose that Daddy knew how much companionship this wooden horse would bring his little Joanie?

Amanda on my wooden horse. Taken Sept 1977 in Baker City, OR

3 comments:

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

I think he is so pleased that you've kept it and enjoyed for so many years. The fact that it has become a part of your family legacy must please him the most.

Love,
Cindy

Mom and Dad said...

I love that old horse on your porch. He does welcome your guests! I'm sure Daddy is pleasantly surprised that your four-legged pal has given you such enjoyment! As a parent, you never know what your kids will really, really like!! Love the pic of Amanda & love YOU!

Anke said...

Joanie, this almost made me cry!!! I love that you hung onto this and that picture is precious!!!! How cool that your parents know how to post comments. Way cool!