Dec 28, 2008

POTD Twenty-Eight

Today's potd represents a very tender subject to me. I share a personal story with those who may not know me out here in cyberspace.

A friend asked me if I would teach her Relief Society (the womens' organization in our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) lesson today. This week's lesson was Jeffrey R Holland's General Conference address The Ministry of Angels. When I watched conference back in October I was very touched by this address. It spoke to my heart for very specific reasons and I appreciated hearing an Apostle of the Lord, Jesus Christ bear testimony of a principle that I, just-Joanie, know so well.

Photobucket
Elsie and Jake circa 1940

After the death of my two children, Tony and Amanda in August 1981, I received two separate Priesthood blessings from two different men in which I was told that I would have "guardian angels to buoy me up and strengthen me". There were times in those first days of grief that I would feel myself sinking into that pit of grief and despair and then I would literally feel someone pick me up under the armpits and pull me out again.

Fast forward to August 1995 and a family reunion that lead to many sacred spiritual experiences with our deceased parents. My oldest sister, Ann, wrote me a letter in September and asked, "We all know what Mom feels like, but what does Daddy feel like?"

I sat at my dining room table with the sun shining in on my back to write my reply. I wrote, "Daddy is soft, but hard, and smells like Doublemint Gum!" The spirit washed over me and testified to me that my Daddy (and Momma) ARE those guardian angels that were sent to buoy me up and strengthened me. What would make more sense? What would be more perfect than that my loving Heavenly Father would send these two people, who loved and cared so much for me in mortality, to be my guardian angels?

I join my testimony with Elder Holland's, "I testify of angels, both the heavenly and the mortal kind. In doing so I am testifying that God never leaves us alone, never leaves us unaided in the challenges that we face."

7 comments:

debra said...

Oh, too bad I was teaching in my class... I would have loved to hear your lesson, especially this subject! What sweet thoughts.

Jessica said...

Grammie,
Thank you for that beautiful testimony. I add mine that I know what you and Elder Holland say is true. Just lately, my testimony has been strengthened on this very subject. I love you!

Mom and Dad said...

Joanie, what a wonderful picture. I don't remember many pics of Mom & Daddy together, and this is great! Thank you for sharing sweet things. It makes life so rich!
Love ya, Ann

Sarah E Boucher said...

Impressive work on that picture. Never would have guessed that you spliced and diced it. I always think about Grammy and Grampy. Esp. Grammy. I had the distinct impression that while I was on my mission she was on the other side doing missionary work with relatives of the same people. Odd I know, but it made sense somehow.

Joanie said...

Oh, no, not odd at all... that is how this whole plan works... working, loving and building families from BOTH sides of the veil. Cindy says, "The veil is only as thick as we make it."
Love you,
Joanie

Joanie said...

Another addendum, Sarah, Grammy loved her family with even more fierceness than *I DO* (if that is possible) it only makes sense that she would be near us and help us!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.