Sep 22, 2009

265- Cielito Lindo

Ahhhh... get out your memory-foam shoes because I'm going to take you for a walk down my memory lane...

Ages ago when I was in Spanish 1 I learned the song Cielito Lindo. That song has stayed with me all these years and it runs through my head periodically... ESPECIALLY when I am taking a trip to my favorite Cielito Lindo.

265- cielito lindo

This has to be one of the finest taquito cookeries on the face of the earth. (Just go to their website... they are world famous!) Taquitos are just happy food in my book. (I just went and searched my blog because I was sure that I'd blogged about taquitos before... but I hadn't. I suppose that will be another post for another day.)

Cielito Lindo is situated at the east end of the historic Olvera St in downtown Los Angeles. They serve their taquitos with what they call avocado sauce, but is really tomitillo sauce... yummy! My favorite is to get them with a side of beans and cheese! Oh my... it's a little slice of heaven! It is right up there with a trip to Disneyland on my fun-o-meter!

265- J&P

Who could resist this plate of yum-ness!? Certain not Auntie P and I!

265- taquito

When we were leaving Springville, a week and a half ago, for our road trip down here we made a quick stop at Taco Bell and it made me think that I would be able to go get taquitos at Cielito Lindo! I started singing Cielito Lindo for Camille and Stuart. Camille made me repeat it several time trying to figure out what it said...


I Googled to get the lyrics-

De la Sierra Morena,
Cielito lindo, vienen bajando,
Un par de ojitos negros,
Cielito lindo, de contrabando.

Estribillo: Yeh... this is the only part I remember!!
Ay, ay, ay, ay,
Canta y no llores,
Porque cantando se alegran,
Cielito lindo, los corazones.

Refrain:
Ay, ay, ay, ay,
sing and don't cry,
because singing gladdens,
pretty sweetheart, one's heart (Just for you Camille-y)

Pájaro que abandona,
Cielito lindo, su primer nido,
Si lo encuentra ocupado,
Cielito lindo, bien merecido.

(Estribillo)
Ese lunar que tienes,
Cielito lindo, junto a la boca,
No se lo des a nadie,
Cielito lindo, que a mí me toca.

(Estribillo)

Si tu boquita morena,
Fuera de azúcar, fuera de azúcar,
Yo me lo pasaría,
Cielito lindo, chupa que chupa.

(Estribillo)

De tu casa a la mía,
Cielito lindo, no hay más que un paso,
Antes que venga tu madre,
Cielito lindo, dame un abrazo.

(Estribillo)

Una flecha en el aire,
Cielito lindo, lanzó Cupido,
y como fue jugando,
Cielito lindo, yo fui el herido.

(Estribillo)

2 comments:

Our Family said...

You mentioned the tradition of making taquitos on one of you Christmas time posts. We had the Elders over for dinner on Sunday and I made them...they were a hit!

Sarah E Boucher said...

Almost puts me in the mood for Mexican food! I love fried stuff...but I am just coming down too much junk all last week...but I'd still like to know how to make them :)