Jan 9, 2010

009- Finally Finished

It has been a long time coming but I am finally finished with my Gerbera Daisy quilt!

Rebekah and I started these quilts over eight and a half years ago, when she was pregnant with Brock. (And Rebekah's has been finished almost that long!) I was still relatively new to quilting and didn't understand completely the concept of a design wall. The directions for the pattern suggested constructing the base of each block, adding the flower, blanket stitching, AND THEN join all the blocks. I thought I had a better idea... NOT! I watched Rebekah struggle to blanket stitch all of those petals with her enormous pregnant belly and wanted none of it. I hung my *completed* top on the wall in my workroom where it stayed for 4 years until we moved to Utah.

009- gerbera quilt

I struggled for good ideas of how I could complete this beautiful quilt top, but none came to me so I put it away and thought about it periodically for the next few years. I purchased several different additional pieces of batik fabric to add borders, but, again, just couldn't get it together. It lived in a drawer with all of its assorted pieces.

So let's fast forward (hmmm, is there anything about this quilt or post that is fast?) to last August. I decided that I REALLY wanted to finish my quilt AND I really wanted it to fit on my king-sized bed. What to do? What to do?

Well, first I started by taking the top apart so that I could blanket stitch the blocks one at a time. But I still wanted it bigger. I didn't want to just start cutting, but I had an idea!! (see light bulb!) I took a photo of the top, opened it in PhotoShop, cut it into blocks and played in PhotoShop until I had a design I liked... cool! Luckily I had quite a bit of leftover fabric so I ended up making three more blocks and adding a wide outside border. Yeah... it fits! Yeah... it's finished! Yeah... I'm glad!

5 comments:

Sarah E Boucher said...

It's beautiful! And so sunny and happy in the middle of winter.

Dean and Sheri said...

Yeah...I love it! =)

ABritsWife said...

you are a persistent person Joanie...you were bound to win!!!

Mom and Dad said...

Good idea using the computer. No scraps to worry about there!! Pretty clever, Kiddo!
Love ya, Love ya!!

Cody said...

I LOVE that blanket-- such a cute idea and it turned out very original looking. You go Jo!