Jan 3, 2011

A Winter Wander

[You didn't really think you could get rid of me that easily did you?]

Today was one of those cold, crisp, windless, sunny winter days that I just love. And after spending way too many days sick [and in bed] in the last month I was grateful to be able to go out and take a little *walkie*. I took my camera along with me, somehow I just can't seem to leave it at home.

I thought you might like to tag along with me. I love how the sun plays off the clean, white snow.

3- snow sun peek

Doesn't this look just like a Christmas card?

3- snow scape

I mentioned that my tree yesterday was filled with fat robins. I suspect this is one of their many food sources. My friend Sheri intimated that the reason they DON'T fly south for the winter is that they are just too fat! Love that concept.

3- fat birds

This tree... with these nests... I only see them in the winter and always forget to look when the tree is covered with leaves to see what sort of ginormous bird inhabits this! Now this one? Yep, he went south!

3- fat nest

I also couldn't resist capturing this snow capped post. It just looks so cold and frosty.

3- snow post

I got back home and saw my tiny icicles. I had a moment of serendipity when I caught this drip.

3- icicle drop

But here is the best part: I'm standing in the drive way and here comes a whole herd of deer [10+] motoring up the street. They headed into the yard next door before the spotted me standing still and quiet. But the alpha-mama didn't like the looks of me... she pogo-stick hopped down to the cul-de-sac with the other babies [yearlings] and mamas in close order. This fellow? Yeah, they don't like him so much... he was all by himself.

3- prong-horn

And with all these photos do you really think that my 2011 photo-book will be any smaller?

4 comments:

Sarah E Boucher said...

So glad you are feeling a bit better. I'm just getting there myself. I am always amazed at what a good night's sleep and a heating pad can do :) Glad you are enjoying being able to get out and about again auntie :)

Dean and Sheri said...

Joanie...I got news for you. ALL your photos look like Christmas cards! And speaking of cold and frosty - It's nearly mid-night and I'm hidden away downstairs because I can't sleep. So, I'm catching up on blog reading and looking up silly things on line like "carotid artery disease"!? What a handsome young buck you've "captured"!
Love this post.

Dean and Sheri said...

Oh and...sorry you've been so sick. I'm happy to know you're feeling better!

Anke said...

Wow! I can't believe the deer, how awesome is that!!! Look at that winter coat too! :) Your photos are brilliant, I have the same shot of the birds nest :) I always love to see the world through your eyes!
Sorry to hear that you have been sick, I hope you are feeling all better by now...