Jun 7, 2008

I'm so excited...

... I could wet myself! That is how I started a phone call to Rebekah earlier this week! Our ward is putting together a ward cookbook. I've been part of this sort of thing before, but never on such a wonderful scale. This is going to be on a par with the Betty Crocker loose-leaf binder cookbook. So when I was asked if I would design the front cover of this book I was SO EXCITED!

I haven't done much scrapbooking (try any) since I finished my Digi: In Deep class in April. I've been totally wrapped up in the Family Search Indexing - Freedman Letters Project. (hmm, fodder for another post). I went to the web page giving the requirements for a custom cover for the cookbook and all I could see was LAYERED TEMPLATE! I was really excited then! I took a little time off from my computer work (entering recipes and FSI) and, well, did more computer work (computers are our friends!). I put together a layered template that was the basis for my final design.

But I was so excited about the possibilities I wondered if I could incorporate a photo of the actual Hobble Creek for the Hobble Creek Eighth Ward cookbook. I only live about a mile from it. So camera in hand I went on a little explore. I can never be around a creek that it doesn't take me back to may days in Greenville and all the happy times I spent down at Wolf Creek (Woff Crik) (hmm, more fodder). I got some lovely photos of the creek in its spring run-off state. The water was quite muddy and moving very fast. I didn't even want to put my tootsies in that icy cold water, so I didn't. I stayed happily on the bank and clicked away.

When I got back I went to work on a cover using a photo I taken and Ortonized for the cover, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted. Nice, but no cigar...

The next day as I was letting the idea percolate in my little brain while I was messing around with some design possibilities I was struck with THE IDEA! I wanted to incorporate that thing that typified recipes to me... my much loved and protected copy of my Mommy's favorite recipe: Tamale Loaf. The funny part about all of this is,as a child, I didn't even like this stuff! But it represents everything about how recipes effect me. I love to look at those recipes that are in my Mom's familiar handwriting and know how much love and time and effort went into preparing those special dishes. I can still see my Mom at our old white enamel gas stove cooking the cornmeal in a double boiler so it would burn (she used that same technique when she made her wonderful pumpkin chiffon pie).



I have included the recipe for said Tamale Loaf (aka Tamale Pie) in our upcoming HC8th ward cookbook, but I will also include it here for those who don't want to wait for the book.

TAMALE LOAF
Joanie's mom- Elsie Munce

1 lb. hamburger
1 lg. onion, diced

Fry until done. Drain.

1 c. salad oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can tomatoes
2 T. butter
2 c. cornmeal

Cook 15 minutes. Stir so it won't burn. Take from fire and add:

2 eggs, beaten
1 c. milk
1 can corn
1 can olives
2 T. Grandma's Pepper **
salt to taste

**(Grandma's Pepper is no longer available, but it is similar to a blend of chili powder and cumin with some black pepper mixed in. Experiment to get the taste you like) Bake 1/2 hour at 350°. Serves 11.

Elsie's notes on back of recipe card: Served on Dec 29, 1936. for 22 people-Double recipe for Tamale Loaf- serve with lime jello salad (4 pkgs. jello, pineapple, apple, carrot, celery) on lettuce leaf and hot rolls.

Note: My mom always used to make this dish when we were going to a potluck supper and there were never any leftovers! It is fun to share this with all of you. The original recipe card is used as part of the cover design.

5 comments:

NanaSue said...

Ooops. I think you meant she cooked the cornmeal in the double boiler so it WOULDN'T burn. Or maybe that is the secret to her special cajun taste... blackened tamale loaf. Yumm.

NanaSue said...

So is the pink cover the final product? It looks to fancy, and it is special to see Mom's pretty handwriting on the front. However, I really like the picture of the creek too. You do good work.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job Joanie! :D

Unknown said...

Both covers are wonderful, Joanie! I like the latest design but seem to prefer the color scheme of the first one...
So glad to find your blog...I love the name!

Unknown said...

Beautiful job on the covers!