Nov 13, 2009

317- Cook-Shees

Ahhh, sniff... smell that? Yes, it's cook-shees! Fresh from the oven and full of spicy-chocolate-y-goodness! I know you can't resist! Me neither. My daughter-in-law, Jessica is the one who introduced me to Pumpkin Cookies WITH Cream Cheese Frosting! Oh, MY, YUM!

317- cook-shees
FRAME- SP_ShabbyBorders1_StraightShabbyBorder, FONT- Georg, Freebooters Script JOURNALING PATH- JSprague_4-squareTemplate BRUSHES- RhonnaFarrer_2ps_SnapShotFrameKit, ACTION- DPMoms Perfect Workflow, TEXTURES- New Testament & painted canvas 3 by skeletalmess

So now are you wondering about the cook-shees part? I was hoping you were.

For years I helped my best friend, P, take care of her invalid parents. I've blogged about them Jarvis' before. They were part of my non-biological family. Edna was a wonderful story teller (AND I LOVE STORIES so we were a perfect fit). Even if I've heard a story before I'm always good for a repeat.

ANY-way (as Edna would say), when they lived in Canada they had a little Scandinavian neighbor girl. She came over one day and Edna had just made cookies. The little girl asked for one very politely and loved it. So she said in a very sing-song voice, "Can I have another cook-shee, Mrs Yar-vis?"

That did it... we no longer have cookies... we have cook-shees... thanks to Mrs Yar-vis!

OOPPS... I just about forgot this...

Jessica's Pumpkin Cook-Shees
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups canned pumpkin
1 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups flour
2 tsp EACH baking powder, baking soda
1 tsp EACH cloves, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg
1/2 tsp EACH ginger, allspice
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Mix sugar, oil, vanilla and pumpkin in large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Drop by tablespoon on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350' for 12-15 minutes. Cool and frost with cream cheese frosting.

Cream cheese frosting-
4 oz Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
BEAT cream cheese, butter and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. ADD sugar gradually, beating until well blended after each addition.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I admit, they are the yummiest cookies in all the land. Unfortunately, I accidentally bought pumpkin pie mix instead of regular canned pumpkin, so I can't just jump up and make some, even though that's exactly what I want to do after seeing your photo. (I have figured out a delicious conversion!)

Anonymous said...

Another happy memory of my mom, I mean our mom. PUMPKIN cookies! I take mine with extra chocolate chips and hold the pumpkin. HAHA