Nov 17, 2009

321- Origami-Mommie

SPOILER ALERT...


DO NOT let the grandkids read this post...

Perhaps that message wasn't necessary, but I wouldn't want to spoil Christmas for my little ones.

I couldn't wait to show what I've been up to today!!

Several years ago I decided that money (yup... cold, hard cash) was the most reasonable gift for me to get for our 16 (soon to be 17) grandkids. I know I always loved getting money when I was a child. I've tried several different methods over the years but they've all gotten old as far as I'm concerned!

I had to *wander aimlessly* yesterday at Target while my sewing machine was being repaired (again) when I saw just the thing!

Gift coins... I was so excited! I knew just what I was going to do!!

So today I did a quick Google search for a template, got out my Coluzzle purse template, dug into the depths of my paper tote for Christmas paper and started crafting!

I haven't paper crafted or paper-scrapped for over a year. I had to unload my tote, organize my paper (since I'd stolen one of my wheelie totes for choir) and it looked like a bomb had gone off in here!

It was fun to get out the paper, glue runner, scissors, ink pad, dauber, chipboard letters and all the other stuff I hoard. I brought one of my backless stools up here and had a heyday at my tall table. When I was finished this is what I had!!!



321- origami
FRAME- SP_ShabbyBorders1_StraightShabbyBorder, FONT- Georg, Freebooters Script JOURNALING PATH- JSprague_4-squareTemplate BRUSHES- RhonnaFarrer_2ps_SnapShotFrameKit, ACTION- DPMoms Perfect Workflow, TEXTURES- blurred grass

I've NEVER been finished this early!

Now for a fun side note about today's texture... it is a mistake! I was taking photos of the beautiful leaves a couple of weeks ago and accidentally snapped this photo of the grass while walking. I love how it looks here using soft light blending mode and a layers mask! Who knew?

6 comments:

Dean and Sheri said...

Oh Joanie...you have GOT to learn the difference between mistakes and SERENDIPITY! :-) I so enjoyed this post! You are a wonderful grandma and friend. I've been meaning to call you. I started a reply to the email you sent me but never finished it. Sooo...just let me say THANK YOU! Thank you for loving me, understanding me, thinking of me and sharing with me. It's printed off and on my nightstand already getting worn out from being read so much. I've wanted to call and fill you in but my days have been full. It will be saved forever in a special "book" I keep things like that in. I hope and pray that things are better for you. Oh and... I LOVE your "oragami-mommie" or "oragami-grammie"!

Skinner Family said...

Those are so cute! I am a big fan of patterned paper, and yours are beautiful! I am not sure that I am going to have the energy to make my usual Christmas cards this year, but this makes me want to start some.

Heather said...

Oy, what a fabulous looking set of gifts! And it's not even Thanksgiving! :)

(And might I add that your photos are increasingly becoming accolade worthy - have you thought of entering them in the fair next year? Or an even grander venue, if you're adventurous... and yes, I do consider you to be adventurous, Ms. Joanie!)

Anke said...

Oh my gosh are these beautiful! You are so talented, it's not even funny. And then the texture of the grass, wow!!! Gorgeous stuff my dear! Are these things hard to make? Of course I don't have the template anyway...

Jessica said...

Those are wonderful. And the spoiler alert was an excellent idea because I always ALWAYS have someone looking over my shoulder. You are a genius.

Joanie said...

Dear Anke-
No they weren't hard to make. The little purses were a snap since they were flat and only needed two folds. The take out boxes were a little harder. They suggested using card stock, which I did for my template, it was difficult to fold even when I used a scorer. The actual boxes are made from patterned paper. I found it to be sturdy enough and it folded easily without scoring. After several trials I found that the easiest thing for me was to make a dot on the inside of the paper where the bottom corners met. If I folded those bottom folds first the side were much easier. Maybe I will do a silly tutorial on them!
Hugs,