Jun 29, 2010

180- The Flip-Flop Girl

Miss Camille, is one of the original flip-flop girls. She wears them in the winter and snow. So it is no surprise that she wants to wear flip-flops on her wedding day!

I got a nice pair of white sequiny-flops for her but she really had visions of lace covered and embellished ones. I started these babies yesterday before running away on the Nebo Loop tour.

180- fancy flip-flops 4

I started out by gathering all of my needed materials:
  • Dr Pepper in my week-old Sonic cup (I hoard those cups this time of year... they will keep my drink icy cold all day!)
  • The UN-embellished flops
  • My favorite pink scissors
  • Needles and threads
  • 18-year old lace leftover from Rebekah's wedding dress
  • 18-year old beads and sequins leftover from Rebekah's wedding dress
  • Sequins and beads from Camille's dress
  • Eyeglasses- two pair of varying strengths
  • Ah... and Johnny Depp! (Bet you weren't expecting HIM to help with this were you? He's such a pirate!)

180- fancy flip-flops 1

First I trimmed the pieces of lace to fit the various areas of the flops, then I beaded these pieces. Can I just say once again... I am so grateful I didn't have bead a whole dress!!!

180- fancy flip-flops 2

Now, change to a heavier needle and thread and attach all the pieces to the straps! So, so pretty!

180- fancy flip-flops 3

I even let Camille try one of them on last night when she stopped by... but not until she's washed her feet first!! No footie marks on these flops for another 9.5 days!!!

OK so do you want to hear another funny footwear story?

Eight years ago I made Jandy's wedding dress. She came for several fittings. I told her she needed to wear the undergarments she'd be wearing at the wedding for the fittings. At each fitting we discussed what shoes she should wear. Her sister had worn ballet shoes because she danced. Jandy always appeared in her big black boots for these fittings. Finally I told her she just needed to get some of those fancy white laces, spit shine her boots and wear then... AND SHE DID! No one except Jandy, Jaquelle and I knew she had them on until it was time for the garter toss. What a hoot!

180- jandy's wedding boots

3 comments:

Dean and Sheri said...

I've suspected for quite some time now that you are a miracle worker. My suspicions have now been comfirmed. And ya know what else? I'm thinking you could go into business making these here wedding day flip-flops. They are so cute.

Sarah E Boucher said...

Wow! Those turned out adorable! Jen is one of the flip-flop queens of the world too...and I'm pretty sure she would have liked these too. Your various talents amaze me auntie!

Laura H said...

Never knew what secret Jandy was hiding during her wedding. Good for her.