Aug 8, 2010

220- Diaper Tutorial

This morning before church Marie called to ask if I would bring some of the diapers I've made this week to show. She told me she'd seen them on my blog and loved them.

In Relief Society as I was telling how this humanitarian project had grabbed me by the heart, and why, I felt impressed to Throw Down the Gauntlet to the rest of the sisters. I ordered enough Touchtape (click on any link to go to that internet site) for 300 diapers so my challenge was that we make 300 diapers for Haiti!

220- diaper gauntlet

After church Marie called again for some specifics and asked if I would post a more detailed set of instructions. I am pleased to share what I've learned this last week.

To make 3 diapers you will need-
  • 1 yard of 44-45" wide flannel
  • Touchtape (a hook and loop product similar to Velcro but stronger and more durable. Velcro doesn't hold up well with repeated use and washings. But remember if you live here or want to send them to me I have enough for 300 diapers)
  • 3/8" elastic
  • Old towels or microfiber for soaker pad

I am using a free pattern from Rita called Rita's Rump Cover.

Download the pattern HERE!

It prints out on 4- 8.5" x 11" pieces of paper and you will need to trim match the symbols to put it together. Cut around the pattern about 1/4" from the solid line. Cut *V*s at the elastic notches for easier marking later (but only on the pattern, not the fabric)

diaper 1

Now you have to be tricky and a bit Scotch (which I am) to get 3 diapers out of 1 yard of flannel. Starting with the fabric the way it come off the bolt fold it in half lengthwise so you have 4 layers of fabric with your selvage edges matching and cut edges matching. Now place the pattern as close as possible to the cut edges with the back of the pattern lined up with the selvage edges. (see photo below) Cut around the pattern starting at the selvage edge and being careful not to make any other cuts into the remaining fabric.

diaper 2

Now open the fabric so you have only 2 layers, reverse the pattern so the back edge of the pattern is by the folded edge and you can cut that 3rd diaper.

diaper 3

All right, don't laugh, save those scraps! Bring them with you to the Humanitarian night or drop them off at my house and I will turn them into humanitarian quilts. Waste not, want not!

diaper 4

Here are your three cut out diapers- a total of 6 pieces.

diaper 5

I like to mix and match my fabrics on the inside and outside, but that isn't necessary. Do what ever makes you happy.

To cut soaker pads I used old towels cut into 11" x 15" rectangles. I found that I could only cut through one layer of towel with my rotary cutter. You will need to serge or zigzag around the edges so the fabric will not fray. (I had large bath towels could get 3- 11" pieces from each width. I placed the ruler on the selvage edge where possible to save serging one more side.)

diaper 6

Take one diaper piece and place it RIGHT SIDE down. Fold one of the soaker pads in half lengthwise so you have a 15" x 5.5" rectangle. Center it on the WRONG SIDE of the diaper.

diaper 7

Using a straight stitch, stitch around the outer edges of the soaker pad and then add 2 rows of stitching down the length of each pad for stablility.

diaper 8

Place another diaper piece, without a pad attached, FACE UP, then place the piece with the soaker pad FACE DOWN on top of it, with RIGHT SIDE TOGETHER. Pin. You will notice that the piece with the soaker pad has shrunk up a little... don't worry about that.

diaper 9

Starting at the front of the diaper (right side in the above photo), right of center a couple of inches, stitch using a 5/8" seam. Back stitch at the beginning and end leaving an opening so you can turn the diaper. But don't turn it yet...

diaper 10

Now you will need to mark your diaper so you can add the elastic. With the soaker pad side down make a pencil mark at each notch on the seam allowance.

diaper 11

Place the end of your 3/8" elastic at the beginning mark ON THE SEAM ALLOWANCE. Tack down the end, put your needle down and stretch the elastic as far as humanly possible and stitch it ON THE SEAM ALLOWANCE using a 3-stitch zigzag. If you don't have this stitch, don't sweat it, just use a regular zigzag. When you get to the other end of the elastic mark tack your elastic. Cut elastic close to stitches and trim threads.

diaper 23

This is what it will look like after you've added all three piece of elastic.

diaper 12

Trim the seam allowance on the back tab area to about 1/2". But don't trim any other seams; with rock washing we want to make sure the seams will stay put.

diaper 13

Turn the diaper right-side out.

diaper 14

I have biggish hands and find that a chopstick helps me push out the back tabs. I also use the chop stitch to smooth out the seams on the back tab curves.

diaper 15

Starting at the front opening match folded seam edges together and sew up the opening. Continue to top stitch around the diaper. (I would normally use thread that matched the fabric but I've used white here for contrast.)

diaper 16

When you get to the beginning of the elastic (you will see the pucker and be able to feel it) put the needle down, pivot the fabric 90 degrees take a few stitched, then pivot back so you are sewing 3/8" from the finished edge, creating a casing for the elastic. Pay close attention at the tabs, make sure that you keep your seams from creeping back in.

diaper 17

I find that it helps to use a stiletto, or straight pin, to coax the seams out.

diaper 18

When you reach the other end of the elastic, pivot again so you are top stitching right on the edge. Continue to top stitch and make the casings until you are back to the beginning.

diaper 19

We're almost finished! Cut one 6" piece of loop and two 1 1/2" pieces of hook from your Touchtape. Round corners on top of loop and ends of hook pieces (see photos below)

Matching the centers of diaper front and Touchtape, pin the Touchtape to the OUTSIDE front of the diaper. Top stitch around the Touchtape back stitching at the beginning and end.

diaper 20

During the process, make sure that the inside of the diaper is smooth without any wrinkles.

diaper 21

Pin the rounded end of the hook tape on the INSIDE of the front tabs just back from the edges. Top stitch. After stitching if there are any sharp edges protruding beyond the edge of the diaper trim the Touchtape close to stitches.

diaper 22

That's it! You've done it! You've made a diaper!

What a difference you will make in these little orphan baby's lives!

And when (not if) we surpass the 300 diaper mark I will order more Touchtape!

3 comments:

Sarah E Boucher said...

These are amazing Auntie! I love how you find ways to serve and show love for others...you give us Latter-day Saints a good name :)

Marie Prothero said...

Joanie,
Amazing instructions. I can't wait to see how many diapers we can make on Thursday. Thank you for your enthusiasm for this project. You are a great blessing to our Relief Society.

Mom and Dad said...

Joanie, I love the tutorial and you later post about Diaper Nazis . . . What a wonderful way to serve!