Aug 26, 2010

238- The Diaper Nazi

This evening was the Diapers for Haiti Humanitarian Project; what a wonderful turn out and success! At one point I counted 17 sisters and there were another half dozen who had come and gone or weren't there yet! What happy sounds there were in that room: sewing machines humming, scissors slicing, laughter, lots of pinning, giggles, happy conversation... and yes, even a few labels applied (see title)!

All of this is Marie's fault!! She's the one who gave the RS lesson that grabbed me by the heart back on 8/1! By the next Sunday I had almost a dozen diapers finished, had purchased enough Touchtape for 300 diapers and challenged the sisters of our ward to make 300 diapers for Marie to take to Haiti on October 1st. (Funny story... Marie bought a new sewing machine for this project!)

238- marie

Marsha was one of the first to arrive when she asked me what to do I told her, "You grab these bad-boys here..." It tickled her that I called the soaker pads *bad-boys*. I showed her what to do and we were off and running.

We got to talking about our own bad-boys (she is the mother of 5 boys) and the boy theorem which is: When you need a job done by boys- if you have one boy you have a boy, if you have two boys, you have half a boy and if you have three boys... you have no boys at all!!

238- joaine, marsha, ann

She was a quick study.

238- marsha

Here's Denise... what a fun girl! I just have to smile every time I see her.

238- denise

Our fearless leader-Relief Society President, Deborah (right) and Ann one of our Humanitarian committee ladies who came even though she was sick.

238- ann & deborah

Holly and Diane... what happy sewers!

238- holly & diane

Look at these darling sisters, Carol and Joy. They cut and cut then pinned and pinned!

238- carol & joy

Now this girl, Shelly! She caught the vision! She made 2 dozen diapers at home since she couldn't stay for very long. She takes care of her elderly father-in-law. Marie was thrilled!

238- shelly & marie

These are some of my favorite girls here! Margie (say Mar-Gee with a hard *G*) and her niece, Sarah. They are always up to something crafty. Sarah was our champion turner! (and labeled me the diaper-nazi) And that's another Carol hiding behind Margie. She cut all the corners off the Touchtape.

238- margie, carol, sarah

It just made me happy to see so many willing workers. There was a job for everyone.

238- group

Candy had more than her share of frustration with her sewing machine... but hung in there to the bitter end.

238- candy

We will be back again on September 8th to complete the diapers. BTW - Deborah counted and we have 224 diapers in various stages of completion! You know, I think we'll make our goal!

Ladies... thank you so much!

1 comment:

Breanne said...

Oh I miss these ladies! What a fantastic goal and turn out! I wish I were there. Miss you all! Great Job!