Jan 19, 2009

019 Keep a Journal

So here I am... 7 in the evening... my only trip outside in the below freezing Wasatch winter was to bring in our recycling wheelie-bin... and, you guessed it, no photo for this day! I thought I was toast!

019

Then I thought... wait, I've spent the whole day doing a very good thing! Why not take a photo of that! Our Prophets have urged us to keep a journal; mine isn't a daily affair (though this year it will be with my project 365!) Neither of my parents kept a journal or diary and I have hungered to know them and what they thought. I haven't had the blessing of just being able to ask them.

Over the years I've tried different things. I started with a funny little 5-year diary in my teens that probably only has two dozen entries. In the mid-seventies I "graduated" to spiral bound notebooks, you know, the stenographer kind. Ah, but then the computer became my friend! And I've been very happy ever since!

January frequently finds me in a journal frenzy! One year I compiled all of my letters, notes, etc from about 5 years and printed all of them out; bringing me up to date. This year I needed to finish up 2007 (yep, a year behind) adding my blog entries and printing it out (only 28 pages for 2007).

I now have 2008 all edited and the first 50 pages printed. If I ask my senior printer (probably 5 year old) to print too many pages at a time the color starts going wonky. But if I let it rest an hour or two the cartridge seems to re-power itself and will print another 20-30 pages.

I suppose that it is very telling that my blog has, for the most part, become my journal. I do have personal things that aren't on my blog, but you know me... I'm kind of an out there girl. Also telling is that 2008 is 128 pages. I think that blogging is good for my journaling habit!

4 comments:

Anke said...

good for you!!! sounds like you are one busy lady, LOL. I wish I was keeping my blog more up-to-date

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Such a very worthy use of your time stuck inside. I'll probably be finding indoor activities once our heatwave breaks and we get our much-anticipated rain. Thanks for the idea!

Love,
Cindy

Dean and Sheri said...

Joanie...you inpress me. I love your photos. Your blog is beautiful just like you! And I now have a new word in my vocabulary...WONKY! I love it.
Sheri

Joanie said...

I wish I could take credit for that word... but it is just one of those weird words we grew up with.