Jan 20, 2009

020 Dreaming of Home

Last night I dreamed that I was back in my little hometown of Greenville, California. It is way up north in northern CA... in the middle of nowhere!

In the dream I had my camera and I was so excited to be able to take photos of my little town for my project 365. I was right there by the high school and wanted to take a photo of the stand of trees east and north of the "new" gym (keep in mind that I graduated 39 years ago!!). I could hear the wind whispering through the pine needles, I could feel soft air on my face, I could smell that sharp resiny tang of the forest... and then I woke up! I wanted to cry!

You see Greenville is over 600 miles from where I live now and all of my family is long gone. So I had to do the next best thing (and in this case, it is a very sad substitute). I dug through my photos and found one of my favorites taken from our back porch in 1966. The grove of trees just to the left of the low buildings, which is the k-12 campuses, are the trees I wanted to photograph in my dream, but from the Hwy looking towards my house. (the opposite direction)

Photobucket
FONTS- Problem Secretary, CK Cursive, BRUSH- KPertiet_LedgerGrids-9, Orton Effect

I took growing up in the lush Plumas National Forest for granted. Now I realize what a treasure I had. I used to love to ride my horse through those trees or I would walk past them on the way to my friend, Crystal Slapnik's house.

I wrote to my wonderful niece and asked if she had any recent photos of Greenville... sadly she didn't either. I can share one that shows similar trees taken at the Taylorsville Rodeo in 2002.

rodeo trees
(Scrap Matters sm_caj_hsg_frame)
DN and I discussed the fact that we will have a different set of eyes on our next visit to Greenville. But even at that how can a camera capture all the emotion left in that little mountain town?

1 comment:

Sarah E Boucher said...

Sad that you couldn't be there to take photos...but that photo is so beautiful and captures what I rememeber of the teeny tiny quaint place.