Jan 15, 2009

Miss Joanie- Queen of Quilts

That is what Miss Becky tells me I am... Queen of Quilts. I'm not sure that is universally true, but it was true today at Camille's school.

Photobucket

Camille invited me to bring some of my quilts into class. They are doing a unit on quilts and she wanted me to show mine off. I had fun choosing which quilts to take. The whole point of this unit is shapes and patterns (I just love this kind of math!)

Photobucket

As I displayed each quilt the children would identify the shapes they saw: square, rectangle, triangle, rhombus [I ask you? when you were in first grade did you know what a rhombus was??? No? me neither!], hexagon and then today they learned octagon. We talked about the different shape that make up a block and how shapes can trick your eye into seeing a circle when it is really an octagon. What fun.

I really enjoyed my interaction with them. (But I may have been a bad/rowdy influence on them when it came time to finish and fold them up.) The kids were so cute flapping the quilt... poor Miss Camille, "First graders, One, Two, Three... eyes on me!"

Photobucket

5 comments:

Heather said...

I love children!!! How lucky they are to have you and your beautiful quilts visit! :)

And might I add that you're quite the shutterbug - you can sell those prints. They're a total WOW.

leannewitney said...

I forgot how much I love your quilts!!! I might have a project on the horizon that I'd need your help/guidance/assistance on. :)

PS- the cats out of the bag, so don't stress about keeping it secret...

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

What fun that must have been! Those first graders were a lucky lot, for sure.

Love,
Cindy

Mom and Dad said...

I love the little "quilt-flappers". Just look at their faces. What a fun way to teach shapes, Miss Joanie. You have so many gifts to share in life.
Love ya, kiddo. Annie

Sarah E Boucher said...

I was gonna say patterns! Every year but this one (when we were forced to implement a "new" math program, complete with those wretched colored workbooks) I have had my kids make pattern quilts, which they totally LOVE. I especially like the cute auntie quilts. Oh. And I love Jane. She's amazing. My IQ goes up everytime I read her.