Aug 31, 2009

243- Angry Orb

Yesterday I noticed that the sky was looking quite smoky, but since I don't watch TV I just figured we were getting smoke from So Cal (Yeah, what was I smokin'?)

When I did a Google search today I found out that we have 13 fires going in the state of Utah (none as horrible as the So Cal fires). I know that fire is an important part of the ecological system. If you don't have fires then the brush and undergrowth gets so dense that when it finally does catch fire it is very destructive. Whereas, more frequent, non-intense fires clear out the undergrowth and allow things to grow properly. (I've probably explained that quite poorly, but, there you are.)

A-n-y-w-a-y, today I got up to super smokey conditions. I think most of our smoke is coming from the Scofield fire. Sadly, this was a prescribed burn that got out of hand. This evening while I was mowing the lawn I saw that the sun was just this angry orange-y red disk in the sky. Well, at least it isn't snowing ash here...

243- angry orb

4 comments:

Dean and Sheri said...

It's quite a dramatic photo with the "angry orange-y red disk" hovering in the background over the serene trees and rooftop.

I think I'm coming for a visit in a couple of weeks. I have you and a few other friends down that way I would like to visit with. I'll call ya soon!

Jessica said...

I am so glad you got a picture. Doug kept trying to get me to try to take a picture of it last night, but the sun was almost completely behind the trees and my camera doesn't take those kinds of pictures very well. But yours sure does! Lovely!

Heather said...

Stay safe....

Sarah E Boucher said...

I remember the year with the raining ash...nasty! Hope we don't get that again! Really amazing picture...