Oct 20, 2009

293- 3-year Quilt

So, I have to ask... does anyone else have projects like this? I found this fabric 3 years ago. I was shopping at my favorite local quilt shop Corn Wagon Quilt Company that is only 2.2 miles from my house!! I went in to find some cute pink and brown fabric to make Desi a diaper bag similar to a purse I'd just made. I walked into the second little room and there was this whole line of Moda Christmas fabric in reds and browns and so delicious! Well, $100 later I left with a 1/2 yard every thing from the line except the large paisley, I had to have enough of that for outside borders (because, of course, I didn't know what I was going to make but I had to have it). I always fold my fabric in a special way and pet it and place it carefully in the clear bags they use at Corn Wagon and it lived that way for the next year.

In the meantime, I made a different quilt for our Bishop who'd just been released using a pattern I just loved. So when the next Christmas season was approaching I thought, "Ah, this would be a great pattern for that delicious Moda fabric!" I found I didn't have enough of the red or cream so I went back to Corn Wagon and had to find other fabric that worked with the quilt (because of course they don't still have that wonderful fabric from a year ago!) I cut out the quilt, pieced all the blocks, got the blocks chain piece together in one direction and then put it away for another year!

Last fall I dragged it out again, finished the top, put on the borders and even got it onto my big quilting machine... where it lived for months. I finally had to finish quilting it to do another quilt. I took it off and folded and hung it, quilted, but not bound, on my quilt rack.

Whew... are we tired yet? So about a month ago I decided to get the binding on so I could FINALLY enjoy this delicious quilt. Need I say more... four weeks later it is FINALLY on my bed! I can hardly believe it!

293- quilt

The sad part to this whole quilt cycle is that I have other projects just like this one in various stages of completion. The happy part is that all those wonderful project just wait patiently for me to return and turn them into a finish, friendly quilt!

4 comments:

Bouchizzle said...

I love quilting. It is my number one favorite hobby!! What kind of quilting machine do you have? I'm wanting one REAL REAL bad :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful quilt! I am going to learn how to quilt some day. Not now though! NO TIME!

Sarah E Boucher said...

Ooh...but it's sooo pretty, no matter how long it took!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely wonderful. How talented you are !