Feb 17, 2009

048- March of the Ents

As many of you know I love to read; but perhaps even more, I love to be read to (well, maybe it's a toss up). I love the classics or what I will refer to as the new classics (Harry Potter is one, but sorry, no classic rating for the Twilight series). I have the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the Harry Potter books on CD and have listened to them numerous times. These volumes are comfortable old friends that keep me company when I am busy with my hands, but my mind isn't occupied.

One of the first times I was driving my friend DeLoris I noticed that we have Ents marching up Maple Mountain. They aren't so noticeable in the summer, but in the winter they stand out clearly.

048- march of the ents
FONTS- Problem Secretary, CK Cursive, BRUSH- KPertiet_LedgerGrids-9, (A2D)_Lomo Action, CoffeeShop Sweet Bakery Glazes Action, Vanilla

The last time I listened to the Lord of the Rings one passage jumped out at me. It is Treebeard, the Ent, speaking of the evil wizard Saruman.

"... his face, as I remember it-- I have not seen it for many a day-- became like windows in a stone wall: windows with shutters inside." [The Two Towers; Book III, p. 76]

I've reflected on that quote since I jotted it down last fall. I've reflected on how our countenance displays who we are and who we represent. Do we see His image in our countenance? Does the Light of Christ shine in our eyes?

I am reminded of a story I heard that is attributed to Abraham Lincoln (who we all know was not a good looking man). Someone was encouraging him to choose a man for his staff and Mr. Lincoln said, "I don't like his face." The other man questioned him on that; how can you not like a man for the way their face looks? The answer was simple; by the time you get to be the age of the man in question you are responsible for how your face looks.

Again, windows in a stone wall: windows with shutters inside or the Light of Christ in our eyes... always our choice.

5 comments:

Dean and Sheri said...

I love this post Joanie. Thank you so much.
Sheri

Sarah E Boucher said...

Booo-raaah-roooon!!! (I love entish!)

Laura H said...

Jim Dale is hands down the best reader I have ever listened to. Someday I'm going to listen to Lord of the Rings, I've never even seen the movies.

Laura H said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura H said...

Joan we are both on Facebook with lots of pictures. If you have an account look us up and we will become Friends.