Nov 5, 2009

309- Friends That Care

I've struggled for the past month with some discouragement and depression. When I am under stress it causes my dyslexia to get worse, which adds to the stress. (Do people really think I'm as stupid as I sound?) I have mentioned this fact to a few of my friends and then last Sunday at choir practice to the choir when I was struggling to tell them what I wanted them to do and couldn't get it out.

The thing that I appreciate about friends that care is: they look past my problem and love me... as imperfect and struggling as I am.

While delivering a quilt to a friend I admired her pottery work. One bowl really caught my imagination. Her response? "Joanie, take it. It's a friendship bowl!" And to add to my delight she sent me with an equally beautiful vase that now lives in a place of honor on *the chest* with my dried friendship roses in it.

309- friendship bowl

The next evening I heard a double ring at the doorbell, which usually means ring and run, but this time is was a good ring and run. I found a beautiful floral arrangement and a thoughtful card. Her penned sentiments were, "I know flowers and card can't fix the problem..." But you know what? I sure goes a long way to helping!

309- coral rose

Two of my favorite scriptures are:

Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; (Hebrews 12:12)

Wherefore, be faithful; stand in the office which I have appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees. (Doctrine and Covenants 81:5)

These wonderful friends have followed the prompting to to lift up my hands that hang down.

I've also realized that I need to have greater trust and faith in the Lord. Regardless of the situation I know the Lord will strengthen and uphold me. And you know what? It will be ok!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you've been down! If you want to get out and take a walk in this nice fall air, give me a call. Fresh air always makes me feel better.

Jessica said...

I am so sorry you have been having such a hard time. I hope you know that we will always do for you whatever we can. You just say the word. Plus also, that bowl is the most wonderful bowl that ever lived. And if it makes you feel any better, I can't talk either. Or type. Or write. Or walk. Sometimes I can't even read... And I don't even have dyslexia.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

It's different to read that you need to have greater trust and faith in the Lord because I can't imagine anyone having more trust and faith in the Lord than YOU! Intellectually, you know all the advice that I could give you. But it's the heart that often drives and not our head... which is why a bouquet of flowers or a wonderfully beautiful friendship bowl go a LONG way to making us feel better. It doesn't make sense... and it doesn't have to. I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Brent Iverson said...

What Cindy said...we love you Joanie - be well.