Nov 10, 2009

314- Wild Phil

My old Palmdale friends will remember who Wild Phil is... (and apparently he isn't around anymore. A quick Google search didn't pull anything up on him.) Wild Phil was the Waste Management Inc's poster boy... you know Wild Bill = Wild Phil. He encouraged us all to recycle. Somehow that idea just rang true with me. I'm not sure if it is the "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!" mentality that I grew up with or what. Several years before we moved from Palmdale WM provided us with a co-mingled recycle can and a green waste can! What a deal.

314- green waste

Springville has a green waste lot... but I have to haul it there! ("I want a green waste can!" she whimpered!) So today was THE DAY! I've been bagging green waste for the last week as I raked, trimmed, pruned, thinned, blew and swept. There were a dozen bags waiting patiently over by the chimney for their a fun trip! (I would say one-way trip but Springville grinds it all up, adds sanitized sewer sludge and then sells it back to us as mulch!) I borrowed Kevin's truck to make this trip and boy... that was THE happenin' place to be today. In the time it took me to empty the contents of my bags (don't think you can just leave your bags there... no way!) there were half a dozen other dumpers.

It reminded me of when I lived in Greenville and the only way to get rid of your trash was: compost, burn, or haul-it-yourself to the dump. I could launch into all the fun memories I have of making trips to the dump... but... well, I'll save that one for another day!

1 comment:

Dean and Sheri said...

That looks just like the heap o "green" on our back patio, only our bags are black. I'm probably crazy but I actually LIKE fall clean up! I don't know...maybe it's because I anticipate a new growing season or "starting over". It could be because cleaning up, clearing out and getting rid of gives me a strange sense of satisfaction. Whatever the reaason...the yukky part IS loading it in the truck and actually dumping it back out of the bags at the "recycle" center. BUT...that's one of the reasons we have a Ryan! :-)