Nov 16, 2009

320- My Friends, the Trees

You have, of course, heard me rant on before over how much I love trees. They are just so beautiful, diverse and useful. (Sounds a little like the schpeel Smokey the Bear would give you, doesn't it?)

When we moved to Utah I became acquainted with staghorn sumac aka Rhus typhina. My neighbors have several in their yard that they got as a start from her Grandmother. So one spring evening in 2006 when Brad was out working in his yard, digging the suckers up out of his lawn, I had him give me some starts. He did give me the warning that they like to spread... But I just love their majestic look. They've grown so beautifully. This is the first year they've gotten these "showy clusters of red fruit" which means that they are female trees! (Girls rock!) They are called staghorn sumac because the resemble the horns of deer when they are in velvet. See all the little prickly hairs.

320- staghorn sumac

When I planted these little starts they were only about 8" tall... now look at them! The largest must be about 15' tall.

320- staghorn shadow

And I just love how long my shadow is at 4:40pm... we are headed towards that shortest day of the year!

No comments: