Jan 24, 2009

024 Winter Primrose

Each fall the BYU grounds crew pulls out all of the wonderful "in-full-bloom" summer flowers at the Provo Temple to prepare the beds for the next spring. They put in thousands of tulip blubs (LOL... this is how we deliberately mis-pronounce bulbs... and it just came out that way!). They also do a massive ground-cover planting of pansies and primroses.

I am always amazed at these hardy little flowers. As soon as the snow melts there they are already with their happy little spring faces... even though it is still the dead of winter! The pansies never fair as well... they look a little frost bitten and bedraggled.

I know that it is still winter but there is a certain happiness in 45 degree days and some of the snow gone. I've lived in the mountains long enough to know that winter is long from being over... but it is so nice to have just a little reprive from true, white winter.


024

3 comments:

Sarah E Boucher said...

Oh, I remember that! It's like early spring! I always liked that. Oh, and thanks for the cute story about my dad on the blog...he seriously crack me up. Don't you love the people who can not only make jokes, but see them as well when others inadvertently make them. I love that!

Mom and Dad said...

LOL on your spelling of blubs. I am so pitiful, I read it as BULBS first time through, not realizing it was creatively spelled until you commented!
These little flowers are in YOUR garden! NOW? Wonderful!
See what I mean about the Jan Thaw and 45 degrees?? Delightful surprises in winter.
Love the blog. Tell me more about the flowers!
Love ya --- Ann

Joanie said...

These flowers are at the Provo Temple... all I have in my yard is snow. This is a warm spot right by the entrance. But still very happy!