Jan 26, 2009

026 I LOVE the snow!

I recognize that this isn't always a popular position to take with some people! But it is true... I LOVE THE SNOW! I'm not sure why. I don't "do" winter sports anymore.

So what could be the reasons? I love the softness of it. I love the quiet there is when snow on the ground. I love to hear it crunch under my feet when I walk on it. I love the way it piles up on the trees and makes everything look like a marshmallow world (which we don't get very often since we usually have that marvelous Utah powder snow!) I love to taste it, although I don't do so much anymore... I still remember that cold, melt-y goodness.

Yesterday winter returned and it started to snow... those big, fat, goose-feather flakes that I love so much. Since this is a warmer, wetter system than we normally have the snow started to pile up on the trees. I went out late last night and got this first photo. I was so excited with how it turned out. This is my globe willow that lives in the front yard. I've planted one of these at every house we've lived in for the last 25 years.

026 night

This morning there was 8-10" of new snow piled up and waiting for me to come and "move it". Thank goodness we have a snow-blower! It makes all the difference in the world. After my work out I took my camera out of my pocket and proceeded to document my "most favorite winter thing".

If I had to vote, I think this one would get my number ONE vote. I just love macros!

026 macro

These lovely trees are elkhorn sumac... I love the gnarled look of them. These trees have been featured here frequently with a sunset behind them. I know that some people don't like them because they tend to be invasive. But I love how stately they look!

026 elkhorn

And this is our silly friend Harley. I just happened to turn around and there he was doing one of the funniest things... he will stick just his nose out the dog door and see what is going on outside. He cracks me up!!

026 Harley

So *this day* I have 4-photos of the day! What can I say? I love the snow and one just wasn't enough!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pictures like these always take me back a long time to being a kid. I didn't appreciate the beauty then, just the fun. We had some pictures like this last December. Thanks for sharing yours. They are lovely.

love P

Mom and Dad said...

Crazy Harley. . . or should I say, Smart Harley? He's not so nuts that he'll come outside if HE THINKS it's COLD! Br-r-r-r-r.
Love your pics, Joanie. The snow is beautiful, and I love the smells and sounds of each season, same as you! Annie